Leaving Streaky Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
April 25th 2013
Published: April 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thank goodness it didn't rain overnight, so packing up wasn't to bad and on the road by 9sh. We rode over the neverending roadworks of Streaky Bay (it will be fantastic when finished) for the fuel stop and away to the east.

The road to Poochera was lovely and the weather was smiling upon us. We stopped at the local roadhouse and discovered that Poochera was the sight of the discovery of dinasour ants in 1977, and dinasour does not relate to their size, but their age.The roadhouse also had a very large collection of religious paraphanalia to entertain us during our break..

We left there holier than when we stopped and enlightened by the good word, riding along the Eyre Highway. The next stop was Wudinna at a 8.5metre stone monument to farmers. We also saw Eoin's favourite flower growing there, the sturt desert pea. Leaving there we rode through some "K" towns. The first was Kyancutta, then Koongaba, before we eventually reached Kimba, our last K town for the day.

We booked in to the community owned Hotel/Motel that has been loviengly restored to its former glory. Kimba's claim to fame lays in the fact that it has the only giant Galah in Australia. This thing is huge and made out of steel and wire, of course both bikes had to have their photo taken with it. A stroll in the town saw lots of galas, more than normal and also a great sign outside the Police Station. It not only gave you the time on a clock, that the Police would return, but also the day of their return. Had we wanted to see them, we only had to wait 7 days and a few minutes..

A great pub dinner was had, washed down by a few cold ales, (just to rehydrate) and another early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th April 2013

Who' a galah?
Streaky Bay to Kimba, about 240klm if I remember correctly. A very sedate pace for two such intrepid travellers. My memories of the K town of the big galah suggests that one night might just about be enough there. I think I have a "selfie" of me and the galah taken opposite the funny little servo. We are still in Cairns about to dump the safety of our caravans and head for the cape, despite threats of a late season cyclone forming in the coral sea. Keep travelling safe.

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb