The Fleurieu Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
March 23rd 2013
Published: March 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We didn't realize how close to the Hospital we were until last night. The medi helicopter nearly landed on our campsite.....twice.

Mclaren Vale was our choice to visit today. The weather changes very quickly between sun and rain, so we took the chance between showers. We travelled through Mount Campass, Willunga and experienced some beautiful cornering, riding through the Sellicks Hill range. Good road service, great scenery and a real scratchers delight. We dropped in to visit a friend at Mclaren Vale who happened to be in Keith this week. Bugger, we rode through there on Thursday. Guess what, we found a bakery (Mike, we don't like to miss a bakery opportunity) and stopped to sample their wares. Some striking similarities to Berry, particularly o a Saturday. After fuelling ourselves up, we rode west towards Port Willunga and stayed on the coastal road towards Wankalilla and the very beautiful coastal road. The closer we got, the rain squall became nastier, so we turned off towards camp.

This morning, we jumped on a diesel powered rail car and took a relaxing trip to Goolwa. The train line hugs the coast until Port Elliott, then cut inland through Middleton and terminating at Goolwa. The railway line is supposed to be South Australia's first railway venture, and was opened in 1854. As well as being the first line in the colony, the section was also the first public line laid with iron rails in Australia. The trip was relaxing and we spent a few hours walking around Goolwa, before the return trip.

Advertisement



24th March 2013

As long as the helicopter was landing to drop people off and not pick them up, everything is ok!
24th March 2013

Tour Guide
I feel like I'm there with you. Sounds like you had a good tour guide or someone read up on the history of the railway. It's a shame the weather seems to have turned on you. The only place you mentioned that I've seen is Goolwa. Struck as a nice little town. Your are a pair of lucky ducks experiencing all these new places and exciting bike roads. Keep enjoying, but you may want to skip past a bakery here and there.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb