Life on the road-Number 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
February 17th 2013
Published: February 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Wed 6.03.13 - Ceduna - Shelley Beach Caravan Park

The Park is about 3 klms out of town and we spent 3 nights there - a nice quiet spot. Ceduna has a population of 3600 people and is the last major town before heading across the Nullabor. We joined up to play the Nullabor Links whilst there and played our first two holes in Ceduna.

Met some nice people at the Caravan Park during the three nights stay. One day while Vic was speaking with the guy on the site beside us, a small (approx 3/4 of a metre) brown snake slithered between them. The snake went into our garden bed and after a bit of prodding around, it came out the other side. The guy Vic was speaking to flicked the snake further away from our van never to be seen again. That was our excitement for the day.

Visited the Aboriginal Arts & Cultural Centre which was very interesting and watched a couple of local aboriginal artists at work.

Bought some snapper and whiting at the local fish co-op - delicious!

Sat 9.03.13 - Fowlers Bay - Fowlers Bay Eco Park

This town is a 20 or so klms diversion off the Eyre Highway but well worth the trip. It is a very popular fishing village. Fowlers Bay is surrounded by very high sand dunes so one evening, with a bottle of wine in tow, we climbed the dunes and took in the sunset. Had a nice couple of days R & R there.

Monday 11.3.13 - Free Camp - Madura

Today was golf day. We played 6 holes at various road stops. Even for non-golfers, it is a great idea as it gives you a good break from driving. We started at the Penong Roadhouse followed by, Nundroo Roadhouse, Nullabor Roadhouse, Border Village Roadhouse, Eucla Roadhouse and Mundrabilla.

Along the way we diverted to look at The Head of Bite. Here we saw the Bunda Cliffs which were quite breathtaking. They stretch in an unbroken line for 200 klms to the WA border. Between June and October each year, up to 100 Southern Right Whales frequent this area. Tonight was our first try at free camping. We stopped at a large park site just off the highway before Madura along with another six or so caravans. Eveything went well and we had no dramas.

Tuesday 12.3.13 - Fraser Range Station

Up and on the road early. A game of golf at Madura Roadhouse followed by Cocklebiddy Roadhouse, Caiguna Roadhouse and Balledonia. This is where the 146 klms straight stretch of road commences. Balladonia have a cultural heritage museum which includes among other things, a collection on the fiery re-entry of the NASA Skylab space station in 1979. At the end of the day we pulled in for an overnight stay at Fraser Range Station. Fraser Range is surrounded by the largest hardwood forest in the world. It originally was a merino sheep station but they are intending to introduce cattle in the future. Whilst there, we took in a three hour sunset tour.

Wednesday 13.3.13 - Esperance - Sea Front Caravan Park

Played a hole of golf at Fraser Range (watched by about 20 emus) before hitting the road to Norseman. At Norseman we played 2 holes of golf and then left for Esperance. We met a couple from Narre Warren who were also heading to Esperance so ended up following them there.

What a beautiful place Esperance is. We spent 5 lovely days checking out the surrounds and the Cape Le Grand National Park. The beaches in the National Park are well worth the visit. The sand is whiter than white and the blues and greens of the water are stunning. The beach at Lucky Bay is said to be Australia's whitest beach. The National Park is about 53 klms from Esperance and sealed road all the way in. After the Park we stopped at Wharton Beach - some unsealed road to get there but well worth it. West Beach, just out of the town and Wharton Beach were our favourites. The day we arrived, the cruise ship Soltice docked on its maiden voyage with 2800 passengers on board. Their short stay for the day pumped welcome $$'s into the town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





5th March 2013

Looking Good
Hey Sue and Vic, sounds like you're having a great time on your trip, and your photos are amazing, the south coast of WA looks so beautiful, I'll have to make a visit myself I think (I haven't been further south than Margaret River). I've subscribed to your blog, and look forward to reading further updates. Keep having a great time. Jess xx

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb