Talia to Coffin Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
August 13th 2019
Published: August 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Painting a picture: on our way from Coodlie Park to Elliston this morning our journey took us through fields of green & gold. To our left was a clear blue sky, to our right grey clouds were building up out to sea. Over honey coloured sand hills we had occasional glimpses of a sapphire ocean. It was magical. But then we were inland a short distance and the landscape was reminiscent of parts of Dartmoor – rolling hills, bleak & exposed with lengthy dry stone walling. The landscape changed yet again as we neared the turnoff for Coffin Bay when the Marble Range rose in a jagged blue-grey haze above the lush farmland. So diverse and so stunning.







As we arrived at the entrance to Coffin Bay Caravan Park a quartet of emu crossed the road in front of us ala Beatles & Abbey Road style – it looked quite funny. Kangaroos are abounding in the park so you have to watch out for little black bullets.







The town got its name from Matthew Flinders, the explorer/navigator who charted the waters of Terra Australis in 1801/1802. It was named for Admiral Isaac Coffin from Sheerness Docklands in Kent.







Coffin Bay is famed for its oysters so through the afternoon we wandered along to Oyster HQ, a trendy oyster bar that also does “takeaway” allowing us to purchase some for the next taste test to have with our evening wine. There is a large community campfire next to the bbq area so we sat and chatted for a while as our steaks sizzled. It was a lovely way to see the sun go down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb