Talia Caves


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
August 12th 2019
Published: August 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

If we had $1 for every time we have uttered “oh my goodness” or “how amazing is that” on this holiday we would definitely be rich. Today was another example. We drove probably 2 or 3kms further along the Flinders Highway and then turned off onto a gravel track for about another 4 or 5kms to Talia Beach and Talia Caves. The beach was stunning enough, even with the mounds of seaweed being brought in by the waves, but the two caves left us speechless.







The first was The Tub; a bowl 25-30metres deep by 50metres across where the limestone ceiling of the cave had collapsed leaving the gaping crater with a tunnel connection that leads out to the ocean. The colours of the sandstone walls were beautiful to say the least with the different strata quite visible. Whilst the tide this morning wasn’t sufficient to come rushing into The Tub we could hear its roar.







Not sure how the second cave got the name of The Woolshed but once down the 75 steps what lay before us was absolutely breathtaking. No words can describe the scene adequately enough. The limestone cave went back about 40-50metres, small seabirds making their nests on the honeycombed wall at the rear. We could easily climb over the rocks of pink, brown and black stone. Several fissures occasionally ran through and there was one we followed – straight as a die – that ran from the back of the cave out to the furthermost rock. The ocean was, as always, relentless and as the water rushed in it swirled around in so many directions, at one point filling two round bowl-shaped depressions, the upper one spilling over to the lower as if it were a fountain.







We keep saying how lucky we are to find gems like Talia Caves – on the main roadway there was only a small brown sign indicating its presence, but you could just as easily drive on by and be none the wiser. When we have stopped at places like today one thing has stood out and that is the lack of tourists. Whether it is because a lengthy gravel road might deter people or not, whether it is because they are poorly marked, we don’t know, but I am sure that we too have missed a few special places as we drive on by. Today was so pristine in every sense and we felt very lucky to be able to stand and stare and say “wow!”.







A quick little drive by to Venus Bay and Mt Carmel Beach completed our morning. Back at Coodlie Park we soaked up some of the afternoon sunshine listening to the bush, a gentle breeze tickling the upper gum leaves, birds singing, campfire crackling. It may not be the real outback, but we are “there”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb