Out of the wilderness to remote tranquillity


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
August 6th 2019
Published: August 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Finally we are off the Nullarbor and whilst we have enjoyed the past week free camping I think we are both over the red dust, so it is a couple of days of r & r at Fowlers Bay. It is still quite remote, but it is a quaint little settlement and the eco caravan park is only a quick stroll away to the waters edge. There are huge sand hills bordering the small community and a jetty stretching into the bay about 300metres. A little kiosk/café services both the caravan park and a couple of holiday lets.







Fowlers Bay is one of two areas in this region – the other being Head of Bight – where they count the number of whales and calves each day. The info board tells that 27 whales were counted this morning, but when walking and talking to fellow travellers along the jetty we didn’t spot one. There is a charter boat that can take you out to look for whales but at $85 per person (for seniors like us) it is a bit pricey.







The township, comprising about 25 houses, is remote enough to be off the main power grid. The power for the caravan park comes from a hybrid solar system. There is no town water either, instead water is obtained through rainfall catchment (which is minimal at 306mm per annum) plus they also have an aquifer or “soak”. In other words water is like “liquid gold”. As it happens, we have enough water in our own tanks for a quick shower for the two days we are here and for cups of tea – thankfully, because the park water has precious little pressure and it tastes incredibly blah!







Telephone signal is non-existent within the park boundaries so everyone steps across the roadway to the jetty and walks around with their phones high in the air hoping to see more than one bar of 3G. It is quite funny to watch, and then of course join in. As for the internet ….. we’ve got no chance!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb