Gawler Ranges to Wudinna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
July 3rd 2019
Published: July 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our journey out of the Ranges to Wudinna was certainly not as dramatic as our drive in, that much can be said. For the most part Barnes Road was in fairly good condition and we encountered a few kms of roadwork with lengthy piles of more gravel waiting to be spread. As the road edged around an unnamed salt pan lake recent rains had turned the gravel to slush, so some extra care was needed. But the best fun was 8km of CREST – it had us riding a rollercoaster as some of the crests were only 500-700m apart, others were a bit further spaced and some were quite high.







Having said that the road from Kimba into the Park may not have been the best choice, retrospect would suggest that it was as the Barnes Rd section around the salt pan lake would probably not have been passable on the Monday due to all the rain the area had on the Saturday. As it was, even today (Wednesday) it was very soft and slippery.







Rather than staying at one of the RV stops in town we have chosen a Farm Stay Freedom camp at Wattle Grove Rock. It is 13km out of town (more gravel, but very well graded) but the location is simply spectacular overlooking vast cropping fields with the Gawler Ranges a blue haze in the distance. We have nestled ourselves in beside the granite rock and it couldn’t be more serene.







The 3 farm dogs (2 Kelpie and 1 Blue Heeler) are as friendly as the flies; the latter being the only downside we can see. Not a sound to be heard, a few fluffy clouds in an otherwise brilliant blue sky and the temperature hovering around 18oC. Time for a cuppa!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb