Gawler Ranges


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
July 2nd 2019
Published: July 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Waganny campground is one of 7 in the Park and all but one are caravan accessible although they do recommend high clearance 4WD vehicles only. Driving around today, we felt that John chose Waganny well for its ease of access along the Old Paney Scenic Route.







The Gawler Ranges cover an area 25,000 sq km and the National Park encompasses just 1,633 sq km of that area. There are 5 4WD tracks that dissect the Park and only a handful of marked bush walking tracks off them for tourists to explore this majestic landscape. The tracks, in places, are no more than one vehicle wide and the condition of them varies between being peppered with gravelly pebble, strewn with large rocks or topped with mushy sand.







Access to the Organ Pipes was via a lkm long walking path through eucalypt woodland to a natural amphitheatre of ancient volcanic rock formation. It was a bit slippery going across the rocks even though it was dry and we had to be sure footed, but it was quite amazing. Unfortunately the sun was in the wrong position so we couldn’t photograph the better angles.







Back in the car to climb the steep LP Track to Conical Hill lookout – absolutely amazing view from up there and the perfect place for a picnic lunch – and then continuing on to Pondanna Outstation. We were not able to go into the stone house as we believe it is still used occasionally (Paney being a working station), but there were a few old rusty implements in the shed worth looking at.







The LP Track took us further on to Kolay Mirica Falls – dry today but the rock formation was still impressive. Completing our loop we rejoined the Old Paney Scenic Route by the old Shearer sheds back to Waganny.







Well we didn’t have the Nat.Park to ourselves after all, as on our trek today we came across 2 other campers and as we settled down for the afternoon one other caravan pulled into Waganny.







Having seen what we want of the National Park we have decided to move on tomorrow. We have appreciated this ancient land for its rugged beauty, but if we are to be honest we much prefer the Flinders Ranges.







As a Postscript to our drive from Kimba to Gawler Ranges:







I opened up a seldom used kitchen drawer today and all was neat and tidy except for a container of toothpicks – the lid must have come off somewhere along the bump and grind ……. it was like playing “Pick up Sticks”!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb