The Yorke Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
April 23rd 2010
Published: April 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Driving from Adelaide to the Yorke Peninsula was eerie after being in a city. The cars and people quickly dissipated into nothing - so much so that we wondered if we had missed some important memo telling people to stay indoors or something. Two towns we drove through had absolutely no-one around. We were heading for a free camp called ‘The Gap’ to rest over Easter while everything was so busy.

The Gap was one of those special finds. One that doesn’t seem fantastic until you’ve given it a go. I must say that although stunningly beautiful, it wasn’t the scenery that made the gap special - it was the people. A group of local people from a place called Moonta were there, all escaping the influx of people to their pretty little town. They took us in and were just so welcoming to us we felt like part of a family.

They taught us how to 4WD on the beach and included us in their day trips, took the kids for a ride in the dingy and invited us to their Saturday night ‘camp-oven cook-off’. We even had ‘sunset ceremonies’ together on the sand dunes watching the sun go down over the water. I have to say that the Gap has been the best places yet, with the most hospitable people ever!

Check out the photos for the amazing scenery. The weather was fairly kind to us, and Easter Sunday was an absolute stunner! We spent the day about 5 kms up the beach, picnicking, swimming, fishing, cricketing, playing boule, snorkeling, and watching the gorgeous dolphins that hung around for a play. It made me think of home and my lovely friends there that I’m missing!

Easter Tuesday everybody returned home and we were the only ones left at ‘The Gap’. It just wasn’t the same - time to move on. I figured that it wasn’t likely that we would have the opportunity to return this way anytime soon, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to check out the bottom end of the Yorke Peninsula.

It was fantastic in one sense because it seemed that most travelers bypassed this neck of the woods. On the other hand it kind of frustrated me because in essence, we had to go in and come out on the same road - double handling things was never my style!

Innes National Park truly was beautiful. We stayed at Pondalowie, and man o man was the coastline special! We did some lovely walks - through the Innestown Ruins, and down to Ethel Wreck. The weather had turned sour, unfortunately, but it was bound to happen as it’s that time of year. Enjoying the coastline to it’s full extent just isn’t possible with cold weather, so when news of a storm approaching came through we decided it was time to move to warmer pastures.

North we went toward Port Augusta …



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Happy ValleyHappy Valley
Happy Valley

Even though we didnt follow this road sign I reckon that's where we are!
ScorpionsScorpions
Scorpions

I hadn't ever seen one before!


24th April 2010

Hello Again!
Enjoyed yet another chapter. Thanks very much! Hello to ALL. Great pics - obviously we've got fish for dinner.
25th April 2010

WOW
wow Truds, you guys look like your having such a great trip!!! I love the blog and pics, miss the babies and you but are so happy for you all in that you are having such a great adventure, take care and have loads more fun, love the Macks xx
27th April 2010

delighted
Trudy, following your record with delight. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. This has to be the experience of a lifetime, and I am drooling!
5th May 2010

Good on yer
Am wrapped you're having such a great time and meeting alot of good people along the way. It will be great for the kids later in life to able to retell what they have seen, encountered and experienced. Your trip is giving my a great hunger to do the same. Enjoy and stay safe.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb