An attempt to find sealed roads......


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
April 18th 2013
Published: April 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday morning we left camp armed with our trusty local tourist map and an overwhelming desire to ride several of the "loop" roads indicated on said map. Boy, were we wrong.

Our first stop was a hill with huge granite boulders that had been carved and weathered over millions of years. These boulders are spread over quite a few hectares and although the hill is only small, it offers a commanding view over the very flat landscape. Granite, as you know is really incredibly hard and considering the erosions is caused by wind carrying dusty sand and small particles it is amazing to see the end result. We will put a couple of photos on Facebook.

We then resumed our loop road adventure and turning from the road out of the haystacks to continue, the road was dirt, not your average type of dirt, but "outwest" type dirt with lotsa rocks. An emergency stop in the middle of the road and a quick conference saw us do a u turn towards the tar. Unfortunately we had to break our normal touring preference and return on the same road.

Our next loop ran beside the bay towards the ocean, and guess what? After the main (biggest ever) boat ramp it also turned to rugged dirt. Apparently the local councils only pave the highways and a mai street or two. Still a good ride.

While walking around the caravan parks you see some funny sights, the other day we saw an average sized tent with a full size refridgerator sitting out the front. It was not under cover, just sitting, plugged in out the front. Whilst we were admiring the beer fridge another woman came be and stopped, also amazed at some peoples priorities. Now, we know it doesn't rain much out here, but it did make us think of the possibility of water versus electricity. (it rained the next day)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th April 2013

The importance of a beer fridge
I agree with you about the dirt roads. Discretion is the better part of valour. I'd like to know how the guy with the tent transports his beer fridge. But they are very important. The AGM in Maryborough is nearly over and all of the south coast guys and girls have had a great time. We are off to Cairns soon. Where are you guys now and where to next?

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb