Elliston to Streaky Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
April 17th 2013
Published: April 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Both of us were ready for our next chapter when we left Elliston. A short distance down the road, we stopped at Colton, not really a town, but, just a house. This house had a wood fired oven and the owners baked daily. The bread they bake, they then bag and put it in to a cupboard with a glass sliding door, situated under a little shack, just off the highway. The idea is, you stop and chose accordingly, everything is $4, then you place the money in the pink honesty box. The scene was complete with a red cattle dog keeping an eye on things. It was the type of place you usually just drive by, but we were given a heads up, thank goodness.

The rest of the trip was great roads, nice scenery, only 1 car going in our direction and less than 8 in the other direction for the whole 125kms.

Streaky Bay, is quite a big place, we found the caravan park, booked in and found our site without a blade of grass. Started to set the camper up and were amazed at how hard the gravel/limestone/WTF. It is like trying to drive blunt tent pegs into a block of concrete, after bending 3 of these sturdy steel pegs, we eventually finished setting up. It is the biggest park we have been in so far this trip, with nearly more boats than caravans.

The waters here are a brilliant blue and extremley crystal clear, but we have been warned that it could be a tad too exciting to swim with the white pointers. There is a netted swimming area off the main jetty. Just for your info, all the paraphernalia in the gift shops are all shark related......

We have described the locations, but have spent little time painting pictures of the colourful people we have met. One pair of female german pushbike riders have been appearing at different locations. We first met them on the Great Ocean Road at Apollo Bay and they then appeared at Mt Gambier. Imagine our surprise when we met them at Streaky Bay. They are still hellbent on riding across the Nullabor even though Eoin attempted to explain how difficult it would be. His german is not as good as their English....


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



17th April 2013

Da da da da......da da da da......da da da da.....daaaaaaa (Jaws theme music)
Streaky Bay is a nice little town and the pub serves a nice beer. I also met a group of Swedish cyclists halfway across the Nullabor. They were the fittest young buggers I've ever met. You're ability to use tent pegs decreases as you head further west. Hope you have good ones. We finally made the Maryborough AGM after a few 12 volt problems that cost a day and $600. Everybody here says g'day. I have tried to recap some of your trip and stories to them. That generated a lot of stories about bikes willy hilly falling over. Very funny night.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb