Point Labatt Conservation Park and Murphy's Haystacks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
March 24th 2022
Published: March 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

A relatively quiet day today with only two sightseeing destinations on our list.

Our first stop was the Point Labatt Conservation Park to view the only permanent colony on the Australian Mainland of Australian Sea Lions who share the area with some New Zealand Fur Seals. The easiest way to tell the difference is that the fur seals are a lighter, sandy colour and the sea lions are brown. There are other differentiating characteristics, like the ear flaps on the sea lions, but we were way too far away to be seeing ear flaps!!

We had hoped to swim with the sea lions, but it was totally booked out while we're here. Hmmn, we keep thinking it is not school holidays so it must be low or at least shoulder season, but we have been told a couple of times now that it is still considered high season here on the Eyre Peninsula. Instead we watched the seals and sea lions from the viewing platform at the park lazing around on the rocks, waddling around on the beach and frolicking in the water.

When we finally tore ourselves away from seal/sea lion watching we headed off to Murphy's Haystacks, a collection of intriguing inselbergs near the tiny town of Mortana. The granite outcrops obtained their name because a traveller in a coach saw the formation in the distance. He asked how a farmer could produce so much hay. As the farm was on a property owned by a man called Murphy, the rocks became known as Murphy's Haystacks. They’re just a bunch of rocks, but we took HEAPS of photos! Every new angle seemed like a better angle for the best photo!

Into Streaky Bay for lunch, groceries and fuel and then ‘home’ to Sceale Bay for a relaxing afternoon. Steve and Bernie braved the seaweed and cold water for a swim. Cathy and I picked our way over the weed and paddled in as far as our knees and then chickened out!



Steps for the day: 10,373 (7.1km)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb