4th - 5th November


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Lincoln
November 4th 2010
Published: November 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Driving through from Ceduna to Port Lincoln was great, straight roads, 110km/h speed limits and no traffic. Drove along the coastal road through tiny townships with enormous silos. We just can't get over the wheat growing right up to the edge of the coast.

Stopped at Streaky Bay for a little look around and morning tea. Streaky Bay is indeed streaky, but it seems to be associated with sea vegetation not depth. Found the most amazing cafe "Mocean" right on the bay and had sushi, tea, coffee - all spectacular (taste and views). Sat overlooking the bay and wheat fields. We read about farmers who dabble both in farming on land and sea - what a great choice. Should probably have stayed over night here.

Traveled on south - again along the coast, past grazing land, sheep and goats and the most amazing limestone walls, built from the rocks which littered the hilly landscape. South Australia was originally planned to be settled by the gentrified pioneers, without convict labour. These walls, built as fences in the grazing paddocks, are kilometres long and we just couldn't get over the hours - years of labour it must have taken.

Stopped along the way to take a look at the view. This coast is dotted with bays and the sheer cliffs of limestone. At one point we saw a lone surfer catching waves on a reef perhaps 1/2 km away. Very brave.

Arrived in Port Lincoln in the afternoon, set the caravan up and ventured in to town for a look around. Port Lincoln is the home of Makybe Diva and a life size statue sits down on Boston Bay. This is also the home of Tuna fishing and so we've learned, Port Lincoln has more millionaires than any other regional town in Australia.


Had tuna and coffin bay oysters last night for dinner. You can buy a dozen oysters for $5 at the service station here. They are actually a different taste to eastern oysters and while I would like to be loyal, I can't. Coffin Bay oysters are superior!

Will have a bit more of a look around today, visit a tuna farm and hopefully find some time for the kids to do some school work.

You can swim (in a cage) with white pointer sharks here. Xav thinks he might like to do this!! I told Ian and Lachlan they could have this as their Christmas Present, if they liked. Lachlan was pretty certain he wouldn't be taking up the offer.
Hello Year 6 - thanks for your messages, great to hear from you. I wonder how many of you would like to swim in a cage with white pointer sharks swimming around you? We saw a cast of a white pointer shark caught at Streaky Bay - too scary even when made of plastic!!!
😱


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Boston Bay - Port LincolnBoston Bay - Port Lincoln
Boston Bay - Port Lincoln

Boston Bay is 3 times as large as Sydney Harbour
Boston Bay - Boston Bay -
Boston Bay -

Again the bay is overshadowed by enormous grain silos
Makybe Diva - in BronzeMakybe Diva - in Bronze
Makybe Diva - in Bronze

On the banks of Boston Bay


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb