Adelaide to Port Augusta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Augusta
April 3rd 2016
Published: April 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

It's all a learning experience living in a small space as big as your bedroom, six people in a confined space....

Waking up in the BIG 4 Caravan Park in Adelaide we commenced our first pack up with a shower and breakfast. The girls starting Our Big Lap bathroom rating system, these bathrooms getting a big tick and a 9 out of 10.

At 0830 we began a quick exploration of Adelaide. The capital of the State of South Australia is the fifth most populated city in Australia with a approximate population of 1.7 million inhabitants. The city founded by Europeans in 1836 by Colonel William Light and named in honour of Adelaide of Saxe-Meningen, queen consort to King William IV. The original land owners the Kaurna Aboriginal Tribes.
The day began with a short sight seeing trip of West Beach, and Glenalg. popular beach-side suburbs of Adelaide. Glenalg is located on the shore of Holdfast Bay in Gulf St Vincent, it has become a popular tourist destination due to its beach and many attractions, home to several hotels and dozens of restaurants. We did not swim at the beach however enjoyed the walk on the pier at Glenalg
Wind TurbinesWind TurbinesWind Turbines

After many kilometres of wind turbine sightings, no longer of interest to car occupants, however always pointed out by me.
and ice coffee at Boomers on the Beach.

We travelled through the City of churches and stopped to admire the Adelaide oval..
Thanks to Telstra's recent outages everyone watched and down loaded movies and music for 'free' whilst we travelled.
We departed Adelaide at 10.51hrs odometer 76072 and a sunny 17degrees.

Lunch at Dublin, a small town on the Adelaide Plains. Situated on Highway 1, the town is surrounded by farmland and rural industry, we ate some South Australian locally grown fresh fruit and products. As we drove on the remoteness now was apparent.
Afternoon tea at Port Pirie, a seaport on the east coast of the Spencer Gulf,
At 1526hrs we stopped at Port Pirie for a stretch. The Port Pirie settlement was founded in 1845 and is the site of the world's largest lead smelter, operated by Nyrstar. It also produces refined silver, zinc, copper and gold. The township can be seen from a distance with the multiple large white silos standing out on the horizon. A nice seaside play ground stop, a coffee and soft cone from McDonalds and back on our way.

Finally after a long drive and many electricity turbines sightings, we arrive in Port Augusta, filling up with fuel at the large Shell truck stop on the south end of town at 17.22hrs, as the sun was beginning to go down. Diesel 121.9 cents/litre. We found a free camp at Rotary Park, an allotment that has magnificent views of the foreshore, town centre and Port Augusta electricity plant.
Port Augucta is situated at the gulf's head and about 322 kilometres north of Adelaide. A major town as it is the junction for the seaport and railway. The port is called Augusta after Augusta Sophia, the wife Sir Henry Young in 1852

The suburb of Port Augusta West where we camped is located on the west side of the gulf on the Eyre Peninsula.

Everyone enjoyed skate boarding in the skate bowl in the Rotary Park as dinner was prepared. The council locked the toilets at 7pm at night which made toileting difficult but we survived. Our first free camp and bush toileting night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



3rd April 2016

Wishing you fun and lasting memories in the making!
How long are you away for? What a great thing to do with the whole family!! Traveling together as a family can give you some of the best times and some of the worst times but it will definitely be memorable!! I'm sure you'll have mostly great times!! Lots of luv. Paula David Bella xx

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb