The Nullarbor


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Nullarbor SignNullarbor SignNullarbor Sign

The Eastern side sign post as you enter the Nullarbor plain.
Its been about 3 days since I have had internet or phone as we have just crossed the Nullarbor from SA to WA. We are now in Esperance. There were many interesting things to see while crossing the Nullarbor and it was definitly not anything like Nathan and I imagined. For one thing there had been rain so it was mostly green, and not desert like we thought it would be. The Nullarbor plain is massive area of limestone rock where no trees will grow. Underneath the rock are many caves and river/lakes. We were going to stop at some caves and go in but weren't able to find the road to them, we did happen to see a blow hole though, which is a hole down into the rock for the caves to breath. When standing any where around the hole, it was really windy. Nathan and some of the Flemings used a rope to lower themselves down into to check it out.
We had 2 nights while crossing, so camped in free camping spots once it was getting close to dark. Both nights us and the Flemings gathered wood (hard to do on a treeless plain) and had camp
CamelsCamelsCamels

We spent much of our driving time scanning for camels.
fires.

Some of the highlights or points of interest were:
~ We saw Southern Right Whales at the Head of Bight. ( We also became apart of the Fleming family, with the tourism place letting us all in for the one price as one big happy family lol)
~ I took a photo of the famous sign post warning of "Looking out for camels, wombats and roos". We all spent everyday scanning the lanscape looking for at least one camel, but we didn't see any 😞 (The only evidence we saw of any camels was some footprints on our first night and lots of camel poo on some rocks on our last day)
~ We traveled along the straightest road in Australia which is 146.6k's long, its called the 90 mile straight

Today we are planning to go for a ride along the esplanade and catch up on washing etc. We will also go for drive later to see a pink lake.

Till next time.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

WhaleWhale
Whale

A Southern Right Whale at the Head of Bight.
Nullarbor PlainNullarbor Plain
Nullarbor Plain

The vast area for as far as the eye could see was treeless.
Falling SignFalling Sign
Falling Sign

All along the cliff edges are no barriers, this sign we thought thought looked pretty funny even though it was a serious sign.
Blow holeBlow hole
Blow hole

Nathan and Courtney down in the blow hole.
Beautiful CoastlineBeautiful Coastline
Beautiful Coastline

The Beautiful Cliffs along the Great Australian Bight


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb