Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi travel lovers.

Continuing with our adventure, we have yet again moved on from Portland across the Vic/South. Aust. border to Mount Gambier. The town is a bit of a surprise as there are plenty of places to visit and things to see, both in town and the surrounding areas/towns. Given this, we have decided to stay three days so that we can take in as much as possible.

First up, we visited the limestone sink holes at Umpherston Sinkhole, the Cave Garden and Engelbrecht Cave. All most impressive. From there we decided to check out the three lakes within the city borders. Valley Lake, The Leg of Mutton Lake and the most well known Blue Lake (where Mt. Gambier gets its water). Again, all three of them were impressive in their own right.

Today, we headed a little further afield towards Port MacDonnell with a stop at Mount Schank which is the crater of an extinct volcano. Beautiful spot and the climb to the top and the walk around the crater rim was what we needed to get todays exercise.

On leaving Mt. Schank we headed to Cape Northumberland for yet more great photo opportunities of the South Australian coastline. From there we headed into the small fishing town of Port MacDonnell which was almost deserted. I think because the Tuna fishing competition was on and given all the boat trailers parked at the wharf, it is obviously a big thing for this town.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb