Strathalbyn/Monarto Zoo (16-18 November)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Monarto
November 20th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We planned to stay in Strathalbyn for just one or two nights, but ended up staying three with a day to relax plus a day trip to Monarto Safari Park. The latter was a great day. The highlight for Alex was the Giraffe feeding; for Thomas it was the Meerkats; for Mark it was getting up close and personal with the White Rhino, which included patting it; while Annelies wanted to take one of the 4-year old Cheetahs home as they had been hand-reared and were as friendly as dogs.

Thomas: “I loved the Meerkats and thought they were gorgeous when they flicked their food around. Normally they eat poisonous food, so they flick it around to make sure it is dead before they try to eat it”.

Annelies: “Monarto Zoo was probably the best zoo I've been to, because it was huge and you could get up close to so many amazing animals. I love open range zoos (I do NOT like seeing animals in cages). I learnt Sooooo much there. I never thought Rhinos were so cute. I thought Rhinos were big and mean and would try to hurt you, but the one we patted was friendly. It was
MeerkatsMeerkatsMeerkats

Stay away from my melon!
one of the best days ever”!!!

Interesting fact #1: A baby zebra spends the first 2 weeks staring at its mother's butt so that it recognises her when they need to move on.
Interesting fact #2: Male Rhinos make 'pooh mounds' to attract females. The bigger the mound the better.
Interesting fact #3: Meerkats have a sentry to make sure no predators are around, a baby-sitter to mind their young, a teacher for the young and a hunter to forage for food.
Interesting fact #4: A giraffe gives birth standing up - a 2m drop for the baby.
Interesting fact #5: A giraffe has a 45cm tongue and can pick its own nose.
Interesting fact #6: An Eland is an African version of cattle. The meat is high in protein and the milk can last for 4 days unrefrigerated.
Interesting fact #7: Hyenas eat every part of their prey, including the bones. Only the hair is regurgitated.

From Strathalbyn, we headed to Wellington and crossed over the Murray River on the ferry on our way to Naracoorte Caves National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

GiraffeGiraffe
Giraffe

Where's my food?
Giraffe tongueGiraffe tongue
Giraffe tongue

45cm and I can pick my own nose with this!
CheetahsCheetahs
Cheetahs

Meal time!
MeerkatsMeerkats
Meerkats

Snuggle bugs
African Painted DogsAfrican Painted Dogs
African Painted Dogs

Competing for 'top dog'


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb