Day 18 Marree and Flight over Lake Eyre


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Marree
June 4th 2013
Published: June 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0714 Marree Van ParkIMG_0714 Marree Van ParkIMG_0714 Marree Van Park

still a bit wet but we were told that it was under water two days earlier!!
We are so fortunate and excited!!! We have managed to book ourselves on a Flight over Lake Eyre this morning at 10am.

.......The flight was fantastic although, about 20 minutes in to the flight I suddenly wanted to get out of the small plane!!! I controlled my sudden nervousness and enjoyed the rest of the flight. Steve and I were surprised and very happy to see water in the Lakes.

We first flew over Lake Harry and saw quite a lot of birdlife, no pelicans though. There were swans and ducks.

We then flew over Lake Eyre South and then up to the beginnings of Lake Eyre North. The flight took an hour and a half. We could also see the Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track and the dog fence.

"The dog fence was built to stop the dogs entering the farming lands.The Dingo Fence or Dog Fence is a pest-exclusion fence that was built in Australia during the 1880s and finished in 1885, to keep dingoes out of the relatively fertile south-east part of the continent (where they had largely been exterminated) and protect the sheep flocks of southern Queensland. It is one of the longest structures in
IMG_0713 Very basic IMG_0713 Very basic IMG_0713 Very basic

but at least we found a dry patch to park the van
the world and is the world's longest fence. It stretches 5,614 kilometres (3,488 mi) from Jimbour on the Darling Downs near Dalby through thousands of kilometres of arid land ending west of Eyre peninsula on cliffs of the Nullarbor Plain above the Great Australian Bight (131° 40' E), near Nundroo"

After our fabulous plane flight we drove to Farina to meet up with Bob and Tracy. Farina is a very old settlement with lots of ruins. Its main attraction is the underground bakery which has been restored and is being used again.

We did quite a lot today and so there are quite a few photos, don't forget to scroll down to see them all 😊

We continued on to visit the Ochre Pits. These pits are amazing and very large with gorgeous colours, red, yellow and white.

We then visited the Talc Man who carves sculptures out of Talc Rock, this was also very interesting.

What a busy and interesting day! We continued south, stopping at Hawker - for a cuppa and spent the night at Leigh Creek Caravan Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



9th June 2013

a day to remember
brilliant pictures, sue
9th June 2013

How daring you are
you would never have got me to go on that flight! very interesting though!

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb