Day 19 Leigh Creek to Quorn


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Quorn
June 5th 2013
Published: June 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

001 Beautiful scenery001 Beautiful scenery001 Beautiful scenery

along the journey
This morning we drove from Leigh Creek to Quorn. This was only a short trip for us. We arrived in Quorn by lunchtime, had some lunch and then had a walk around the Town. We went to the Information Centre and learnt about the Pitchi Richi Railway.

"The Pichi Richi Railway is an operating museum, operating regular heritage train journeys on the oldest remaining section of the famous narrow-gauge old Ghan railway.

Pichi Richi Railway is located at Quorn, in South Australia's Flinders Ranges. Trains depart from Quorn and Port Augusta. The railway is operated, maintained and managed by the dedicated volunteers of the Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society Inc."



Later in the afternoon we drove out to Warren Gorge. The rock strata of Warren Gorge was laid down between 800 and 570 million yrs ago and comprises of quartzite and dolomite.

There is a beautiful camping ground out at the Gorge (no powered sites ). We sighted quite a few yellow footed wallabies and lots of kangaroos.

We stayed at the Quorn Caravan Park tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



10th June 2013

Funny name for a railway
are you going to take a train ride?
11th June 2013

just catching up with you.
the gorge looks spectacular. And so close to the wallaby

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb