An exhilarating journey


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Goolwa
March 17th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -35.5026, 138.785

Borrowing Marie's car, the four of us drove south east of Adelaide to Goolwa on the Fleurieu peninsula. Here Mark has a drop zone at Goolwa Airpark for those who want to go sky diving. We were there however for the Warbird flight. The plane is a single engine CJ 6 A Fighter, a real Biggles job with pilot in front and passenger behind. Zoran the lovely handsome Croatian pilot explained all the manoeuvres the plane could do before kitting the passenger (me first) out in a parachute (just in case but hopefully never used). Out on the tarmac Mark films the whole episode of getting into the plane, which involves clambering onto the wing and swinging over the side onto the seat. There are also cameras on the plane filming the trip so pointless trying to take a camera. Once in the seat the pilot shows you how to strap in and release and also how to close the canopy, which as you are on your own behind him you have to do yourself, but it is very easy.

We flew along the coast and it is a great view but for the more adventurous (me) we flew into clear airspace and then did a few rolls, barrel rolls, loop the loop and even a half Cuban 8! Seeing the coast upside down albeit briefly is weird but the whole experience is great fun and I would highly recommend it. Zoran reckoned we clocked just over 5G so for someone who has always wanted to travel into outer space it was great to know I could reach at least this with no ill effects. In order to build up speed enough to do the manoeuvres he has to go up to 4000 feet and then do a steep dive before going up into the rolls etc. This is when you get the weightless feeling followed by the heavier feeling which didn't have any effects on the stomach unlike a Disney ride surprisingly. Zoran always checked I was OK after every manoeuvre so if you don't like it he won't go on but if you do ...

The flight lasted about half an hour but it felt like 10 minutes I enjoyed it so much. I look forward to receiving the film of the whole experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb