Day 6 - Redhill to Mulga Well (near Glendambo)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Glendambo
April 2nd 2015
Published: April 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

House for sale in Port PirieHouse for sale in Port PirieHouse for sale in Port Pirie

What about this one? It has a tower so you can see what's happening at the port. Maybe it belonged to the harbour-master?
A short drive up the coast and we could bypass Port Pirie or go "in" for a look. We decided to have a look at Port Pirie and have coffee. While we were looking for a place to park the bus, we spied a house for sale which had this really tall tower attached to it. Wonder who it belonged to originally? After coffee, we toured the port area and bought fish for dinner and then, as we left the town we bought oysters at a roadside stall. Georgi says the best oysters ever!

Up to Port Augusta where we stopped for shopping and petrol. We went to Foodland first 'cos we couldn't find a Coles or Woolies but Georgi wasn't happy with their range of products. Eventually hunted down a Woolies and I parked the bus under a tree down at the port to keep cool while Georgi walked up the road and then back with the groceries!

With the end of civilisation approaching (if you call Port Augusta civilised) we turned right to head to Alice Springs. Unfortunately, we drove through a deep gutter and set off the alarm on the rear door. What a nuisance! To
Coffee stop at Port PirieCoffee stop at Port PirieCoffee stop at Port Pirie

A lovely old building put to a new use
access the rear door you have to remove the bikes and the bike rack and then screw the alarm cover back on.

On the road again and off to Pimba for another load of diesel. The bus is performing perfectly.

As soon as we leave Port Augusta, the scenery changes and it becomes very arid looking. There are salt lakes on the side of the road.

We drove through Glendambo and parked at a camp site called Mulga Wells where we feasted on a seafood banquet. What a great way to finish the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Coffee!Coffee!
Coffee!

Worth the wait to get these artistic pieces of coffee!
Road sign leaving Port AugustaRoad sign leaving Port Augusta
Road sign leaving Port Augusta

Diesel fill at Pimba is next on the agenda....
Part of Island LagoonPart of Island Lagoon
Part of Island Lagoon

A very large salt lake that runs south of the highway for approximately thirty kilometres.
Seafood feast for dinnerSeafood feast for dinner
Seafood feast for dinner

Seafood cocktail followed by whiting fillets. And a crisp cold white wine. Who says we have to eat rations while we travel? Nice work Georgi!


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0878s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb