Day 7 - Mulga Well to Agnes Creek camp (near Marla)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Marla
April 3rd 2015
Published: April 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Coober Pedy discovery plaqueCoober Pedy discovery plaqueCoober Pedy discovery plaque

Coober Pedy is 100 years old in 2015. We arrived a day before the celebrations. A shame we couldn't stay longer.
Day 7 and we were starting to get just a little behind with the "plan" - nothing to worry about but we needed to get up early and drive most of the day.

So we did.

We hit Coober Pedy late morning and filled up with diesel and then decided to have a quick look at the town. Neither of us had been to Coober Pedy before, although I had been underground at White Cliffs (another opal mining town near Wilcannia in NSW).

We had a look in one shop and then went next door where we met Nicky (the wife of the opal miner). Nicky and George are lovely folk and you should look them up if you are up that way (Miner Direct is the name I think). Georgi and Nicky were chatting away like long lost friends talking books and anything else while I looked at all of the opal on display. The right pair of ear-rings had to be found and that meant trying on quite a few. Finally a pair were chosen and a price agreed on. They were the ones we had looked at first!

Coober Pedy is having its century
Site of the first opal discoverySite of the first opal discoverySite of the first opal discovery

Site of the first opal discovery
celebrations during 2015. It was a shame that we missed out on sharing that event with the townsfolk.

We re-filled at Marla and stopped at Agnes Creek (although it was dry like most creeks we had travelled past).

Our longest day on the road to date had us covering over 500 kilometres. That's a lot of distance when we normally travel at 80 kph.

We had a little rain overnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Opal earrings - the new favouritesOpal earrings - the new favourites
Opal earrings - the new favourites

Georgi shows off her new opal and diamond ear-rings.
Georgi ear-rings - a close upGeorgi ear-rings - a close up
Georgi ear-rings - a close up

More opal! But they are nice!


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb