D3: Croc Vs Dingo!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Gawler
August 4th 2018
Published: September 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nullabor Roadhouse/Park to Yandinga Campsite Gawler Ranges


Day 3 Nulla to Gawler

Two apex predators from the outback go head-to-head in a battle of strength!

This morning started off with something unusual - we had a wild dingo sniffing around our camp. Cautious but not fearful, the dingo checked out Chris and myself as we ate breakfast, then it trotted in between our two cars, grabbed one of Norelle's Crocs (which were just outside her van), then turned and bolted out of the park, only to drop her shoe just outside the park's fenceline. It seems that even a starving wild dingo could not take the taste of that shoe - so much so that he then thought a better idea for breakfast would be to dig up a section of plastic retic pipe and chew on that. Ultimately, although the dingo put up a good fight, the Croc proved to be the eventual winner. It was all quite funny really.

We packed up and had an uneventful drive to Minnipa before we turned North off of the Eyre Hwy and headed though farmland up into the Gawler Ranges national park, where we would be camping overnight at the Yandgina campsite. As we drove into the campground, the only present camper decided to do the polite thing and promptly packed up and left, leaving the majesty and solitude of the area entirely to us. After setting up camp, we drove a short distance to have a look at one of the features of the park, a unique rock formation known as the "Organ Pipes" - named simply due to fact the rocks resemble a set of organ pipes. Another feature of the area has to be the vast number of Kangaroos and Wallabies - they were everywhere.

We had dinner under the stars of the Milky Way, then turned all the lights off. In an environment of zero heat, zero light, zero heat, zero sound, zero heat and zero cloud, we sat and gazed at the stars, satellites and the many meteors that shot through the sky. It really was quite hypnotic - that was until we realised we could no longer feel our legs due to the cold. None of had ever seen such a meteor show before.

LOTD

- Don't mess with crocs or dingos


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb