More from Fowlers Bay!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Fowlers Bay
September 22nd 2015
Published: September 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another day in beautiful Fowlers Bay and it was just as spectacular as the previous. I was treated to a 4.5 hour 4x4 tour of the dunes with caravan park managers Brent and Mel and their 7 year old son Zac. Up into the sand hills we sped (literally, its too soft to go slow) and proceeded to follow the coast from the town all the way out to the Point (western headland edge of Fowlers Bay) and then back along the ocean side all the way to Scotts Beach, then home again over the dunes. My big new camera lens was hard at work on the way out as we visited coves that were home to sea lions and then New Zealand fur seals, passing numerous birds and wallabies on the way. Over the other side of the hill and once past the point, it was time for the smaller wider lens as the breathtaking vistas of the cliffs and sands of the coast line of the Australian Bight unfolded before us. No whales out there today, but there was a pod of dolphins making its way past.



I had salmon for dinner tonight. It was caught as I watched on Scotts Beach as Brent produced his “huge” beach rod and threw into what appeared to me to be a patch of seaweed. However it was in fact a school of salmon. His line was not in the water more than 2 minutes before he pulled out the beautiful fish shown in my photo – enough to feed us “all” for dinner tonight. And that was enough. No more was necessary.



There were other chaps there for the sport of fishing the salmon – one fly fishing the other with a normal rod. They were pulling them in so fast, and thankfully, letting them go. Beautiful creatures of the bountiful sea.



Enough words from me – I’ll let the photos tell this story. Tomorrow I am going out on a whale watching cruise. Apparently most of the southern rights have moved on already this year, but there have been humpbacks performing their tricks, so hopefully I will get lucky again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach6Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach6
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach6

This guy is fly fishing.
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach5Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach5
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach5

This one was released back into the ocean immediately after I took this photo.
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach4Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach4
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach4

My generous host and tour guide, Brent - catching our dinner.
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach3Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach3
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach3

And here comes dinner! Yep, Brent kept this one and it was big enough to feed his family, me and the other couple who "tagged along" on our excursion.
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach2Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach2
Salmon fishing on Scotts Beach2

Within seconds of the catch being killed and cleaned, the beach which was hitherto free of gulls, was suddenly swarming with them.


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb