Day 40 – Coward Springs, Maree, Lyndhurst, Leigh Creek, Finders Ranges NP


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After our 457 visa recipient cooks an enormous breakfast spread and makes us a couple of cappuccinos we head down the Oodnadatta Track. We have a big day of driving so we don’t stop a lot just for fuel and the 3rdworst coffees so far at Marla. I may have to add Irish backpackers to the Asian barista rule. I have to show the guys Leigh Creek which is like one of those towns they build to test nuclear bombs. I think it was actually built to service the coal mine which the Government subsequently closed down. The SA Government tried to sell the town but couldn’t.



We have a great run down to the turn off to the Flinders Ranges National Park. Luckily all the vanners seem to be headed South. In the late afternoon the ranges look incredible as we turn in at the Brachina Gorge. Bizarrely the information kiosk says you can only pay for camping online (which is tricky given there is no mobile coverage) this could possibly be a research error on my part.



We find a camp site where we are the only campers and set up. There is a moment when a couple turn up in a 4WD and Catherine (think 457 visa) starts to imagine Wolf Creek. I tell her that she is safe with Wilko and me here, given I’ve got a gamey leg they should be able to out run me. We walk to the ridge for a glorious sunset.



Luckily after dinner there is no mention of Scrabble or cards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb