Coober Pedy and the Opals


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
November 13th 2015
Published: November 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 12 November continued

We arrived at Coober Pedy bus station and were very pleased to see that the hotel shuttle was there waiting for us. Pat had asked if this was possible in the booking process, but we weren't sure if it would happen. Turns out that the town centre area isn't that big and everything is only 5 minutes away.

That said our arrival greeting and journey to the hotel was very helpful and informative.

Just in case you don't know by now the town is the Opal mining centre of the world, and Pat likes Opals. There are small and large spoil heaps for mile after mile of the drive in to town.

After plenty of information was given to us about the hotel and opal mining, we were taken to our room. Again if you don't know about the town then I have to tell you that a lot of the living is underground! The hotel is underground and our room is 22 meters below the surface of the ground.

A truly fascinating place.

We were pretty done in and although we were offered the chance to be dropped off and picked up whenever we wanted in order to eat in town we declined.

So we caught up with the world and went to our subterranean bed.

Friday 12 November

We had a really good nights sleep and started moving about 9 am.

Breakfast was continental style and after we had showered and readied ourselves we had a closer look at the place and the underground church. We then talked to the owner about Opal's and Coober Pedy.

She very kindly dropped us and another couple of guests in the town and we pottered in and out of places.

Our first port of call was Desert Cave and a free underground display about various things of local note was on show. We bumped into a couple we had seen on the coach and chatted with them over coffee in the cafe.

We visited an Opal shop and talked with George the owner for a while. We popped into the underground Catholic church, bought a postcard which Pat then sent from the Post office to her Mum, did a little shopping in the miners store.

Then lunch in John's pizza and returned on foot to the hotel for about 3.45 pm.

We did things slowly but Pat's health continues to improve.

As further evidence of hospitality we have shown, we have been allowed to hang on to our room until later when we go for the overnight coach to Adelaide.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb