Coffin Bay National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coffin Bay
March 21st 2022
Published: March 21st 2022
Edit Blog Post

What an adventure we had today. First stop was at Woolies again to pick up some more lunch ingredients and then we headed over to Coffin Bay NP for the day. We drove straight through the town of Coffin Bay and into the national park … which may have been a mistake as there are no toilets near the entrance to the park and the toilets at Almonta Beach were not accessible due to renovation works!

Undeterred by the lack of facilities we spent the morning exploring the sections of the park that can be reached using sealed roads. The first stop of the day was along the road in at Templetonia Lookout. It was very hazy, but we could just make out Mount Dutton and Marble Range looking north … and we could see not much at all looking south. A somewhat disappointing start to the day’s sightseeing.

Next we stopped at Claytons Lookout for some very hazy views so perhaps it was the lookout you have when you’re not having a lookout?! Ha, ha. We continued to Golden Island Lookout which afforded us reasonable views of Golden Island and Price Island and the sweeping golden sands of Almonta Beach. From there we headed around the corner to Point Avoid which was a very rocky outcrop with surf crashing against it in stark contrast with the beautiful beach at Almonta.

As we drove over to Yangie Bay we stopped again at Claytons Lookout because it was less misty and we could take photos that we hope will be more picturesque than those taken earlier? We arrived at Yangie Bay where we were (finally) able to make use of some facilities!! We then set out on the easy Yangie Bay Hike via the Yangie Lookout. After a short climb through coastal mallee we had great views overlooking Yangie Bay, Mount Dutton and Marble Range. Near the end of Yangie Island we started to loop back around towards the car park along the edge of the bay.

As we walked we encountered an emu … with three chicks. It was really cute to see them so close BUT they kept walking along the path rather than running off into the scrub. We didn’t want to get too close and we certainly didn’t want to get between the parent and the chicks and have a full grown emu rush at us if it decided that we were a threat!! After walking along behind the family of emus at emu grazing pace for quite some time we eventually managed a wide passing manoeuvre when we reached a less treed section of the walk.

We ate our sandwiches standing up in the picnic shelter because the shade it was casting was, unfortunately, not over the picnic tables. Hmmn, perhaps when it was installed some more consideration should have been given to its orientation?? After eating we left Cathy and Steve’s car in the car park and all piled into the MU-X to attempt a 4WD track out to Black Springs.

As recommended, Bernie let some air out of the tyres to drive on sand - not actually on the beach, but in the dunes behind the beach – and we headed off. Almost straight away we were in sand, but it was hard-packed and quite manageable. We made it to Lake Jessie and thought we were doing really well. Unfortunately that confidence proved to be short lived because before we make it to Eely Point (about half way to Black Springs) we were BOGGED in sand!

So, we got bogged, but we got out again!! On our own, using the recovery tracks and without holding up anyone else trying to get in or out using that track. Cathy and I sat in the car keeping out of the way while Bernie and Steve dug in front of the tyres to put the tracks in. More air was let out of the tyres and eventually, after a lot of sweating (and a little bit of swearing) Bernie managed to get the truck out of the hole we were in. Phew!

Bernie drove a little bit further along the track, but then spotted a firm looking place he felt he could turn the truck around in. Having dug the vehicle out once he was a bit reluctant to go any further and risk getting bogged again and the rest of us only wanted Bernie to undertake what he felt comfortable with. It was a downhill run to the spot that caught us out on the way in so Bernie gunned it a bit and with the tyre pressure now lower than when we came in we re-crossed that troublesome section with no more drama. Phew! Sand driving is probably something that Bernie needs a bit more practice with, but not too bad for a first attempt. At least we didn’t have to be pulled out!!

Back at the Yangie Bay Campground it was time to pump the tyres back up. The compressor that now forms part of our 4x4 kit returned the tyres to highway driving pressure in about 15 minutes. Coffin Bay NP is a pretty serious off-road, sand driving destination with only about one quarter of it accessible in a vehicle without low range. To attempt to see the further reaches of the park you would need days because some sections have to be navigated along the beach on low, outgoing tides which restricts the times at which you can travel. At least we were able to see a tiny bit more than the average day tripper.

We headed back out to Coffin Bay township with a repeat stop at Templetonia Lookout. This afternoon it was possible to see Price Island and Golden Island in the Great Australian Bight from the lookout and the mountains in the other direction were clearer too. Although Cathy and Steve were saying that Bernie had earned a beer he was happy to settle for an ice-cream! Of course his passengers had to keep him company. Coffin Bay seems very pretty, but we probably didn’t factor in enough time to explore it properly. In hindsight, maybe we should have booked three nights at Port Lincoln and a couple of nights in Coffin Bay rather than base ourself in Port Lincoln for five nights?? Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Back in Port Lincoln we stocked up with some supplies to take with us to Sceale Bay. There’s nowhere to shop in Sceale Bay and it’s 28 Ks into Streaky Bay so we have tried to plan ahead with our meals for the next few days since we can’t just pop out to the supermarket. Seeing as it will be home cooked meals for a couple of nights at least, we indulged in fish and chips tonight. After debating the merits of eating them on the foreshore versus our deck overlooking the marina we opted for the marina view as the sun went down. Pretty nice.



Steps for the day: 12,366 (8.32km)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb