SA Vineyards Tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Clare
August 5th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Seven Hill CellarSeven Hill CellarSeven Hill Cellar

Did anyone bring a drill?
Trip to the Clare and Barossa Valleys

Hi everyone. Last weekend Dave (Physio), Jill (Physio) and Sharon (Physio) and myself spent the weekend in the Clare and Barossa Valleys which also included a little trip to Adelaide. We left Broken Hill at about 1730 on Friday and headed out into the dark on the roo-infested road to Adelaide. However we only saw 2 roos, 2 foxes, and a couple of rabbits and cats for the journey. Stopped at Yunta for dinner which took forever and as a result we arrived at the Adelaide Airport to collect Sharon at about 2315. It was great to see her happy smiling face. We then turned around and headed back up to the Clare Valley. We were booked into Aaby’s, which is a 4 bedroom B&B on the edge of Clare Township and arrived at about 0100, 7.5 hours and 630 km after leaving Broken Hill.

Needless to say we didn’t get out of bed very early on Saturday morning. Vineyards we visited on Saturday were:

· Seven Hills Cellars
· Skillogalee Wines
· Penna Lane Wines
· Annie's Lane at Queltaller

You don't want to rush around the vineyards. Plus
Seven Hills CatSeven Hills CatSeven Hills Cat

What a lazy life this cat leads. Every time i've walked into the wine tasting area the cat is asleep and occassionally wakes to accept a pat.
this is about my 5th time there so I have developed a liking for these vineyards and as a result we only went to the best ones in my opinion.

After the wineries we returned to Aaby’s for a quick nap and headed out to the Middle Pub for dinner. As usual we were unable to watch the rugby because South Australia doesn’t believe in any other forms of football other than AFL. Went back to the B&B to watch it there but it didn’t come on TV till after midnight. SA TV had to play a movie first.

Sunday we slept in again and then headed out to the Barossa. We visited:

· Wolf Blass Wines
· Penfolds Wines
· Peter Lehmann Wines

Then headed for Adelaide. Managed to make it to the beach for those Sydney Siders who were missing the sand and water and then dropped Sharon off at the airport. We dashed back to the beach to catch the last bit of the sun setting of the water. It just seems right to watch the sun setting over the water.

We had dinner in the city with Mark (pommy medical student) and then headed home at about 2000. Arrived home at 0200 after being ambushed by the police about 10km out of Broken Hill. Apparently they wait out on the Adelaide Road trying to catch people couriering drugs into town. The only drugs we had on board were the wines we had purchased at the Wineries. Saw about 50 roos on the way home. We covered 1440km for the weekend. Some might say why did we do that. Well to get anywhere out of the Hill is a 1000km return and the extra couple of hundred to get Shazz was well worth it. Overall had a great weekend with exquisite wine and fantastic company.

Next trip is to the Louth Races this weekend.







Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Seven Hills ChurchSeven Hills Church
Seven Hills Church

They forgot to put the steeple on
They have seen the lightThey have seen the light
They have seen the light

Have they found God or the Wine tasting bar
The gangThe gang
The gang

Dazza, Shazza, Jill, Dave
The Beach in AdeliadeThe Beach in Adeliade
The Beach in Adeliade

Dave, Jill and Shaz at the beach
The gang at the beachThe gang at the beach
The gang at the beach

Dave, Shaz, Jill and Dazza
Sunset over the waterSunset over the water
Sunset over the water

It just feels right


7th September 2006

You Missed the Best Wineries!
What about Crabtree and Reilly's? I continue to bulk order my wine through these guys...all the way to Mt Isa! Very jealous, especially of the Louth Races part :-(

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb