Louth Races


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
November 12th 2006
Published: October 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Stubbie and ProgramStubbie and ProgramStubbie and Program

The essentials
At last, we are at the Louth Races. For those of you who are saying, “where the hell is that?” It’s a little place on the Darling River between Bourke and Wilcannia. You might still be saying, “where”? Suffice it to say it’s in Western NSW about 400km East-North-East from Broken Hill. 200km of bitumen then 200km of dirt.

As with a lot of town’s in Australia it grew up around a pub. It was originally a watering hole for the thirsty crews of the paddle steamers and the town grew up around it. Today it has a population of less than 50 but in the late 1950’s someone decided to hold a horse race, which lives onto today on the second Saturday in August.

As with most of these trips a whole group of people went. Some left The Hill on Thursday and others on Friday. I left on Friday with a group of people from the Staff Quarters and headed out of town after work on Friday. It wasn’t long before it got dark and as usual I was last to leave. Not sure if that’s because of my disorganisation or getting the girls packed to go.
DaveDaveDave

Not his Crutch


Dan (Storeman), Elisa (Nurse), Johno (Super Mechanic) and Jodie (Nurse) went up on Thursday Night. To enjoy a camp oven roast on Friday night and to have a relaxing day. They said, thier camp oven roast was fantastic so maybe we should add cooks to their job descriptions.

Dave (Grazier) left mid afternoon with Jessie (Physio) and Bernie (Dietician). They were to be found latter at Shindy’s Inn at Louth having consumer a few quiet ales or was that quite a few ales.

I left town with Dave (Physio), Jill (Physio), Angela, (Occupational Therapist) Erin (Physio) and myself (Nurse). Plus Jason (Electrician) and Erin (Dental Therapist) in Jas’s car. Jason actually made it out of town a bit quicker than me so we met at The Tilpa Pub and as usual I was the last to leave.

We had an uneventful trip to Louth. Stopped at Tilpa for a few beers and then headed up the western side of the river stopping to collect some firewood on the way. We rolled into Louth just after midnight, collecting the drunk ones from the pub and their vehicles then continued on to our campsite where we had quite a few beers ourselves.

Soon we rolled out the swags and went to sleep but his was interrupted by the sunrise and the need to get to the track. Or was it to get breakfast or the headache tablets.

More and more people started to turn up as the morning wore on to apparently to a total of 5000-6000 people. Sophie the ex COT (Chief Occupational Therapist) from Broken Hill came in from Orange with her friends. Sophie has the coolest laugh and it’s just infectious. Sounds a bit like a kookaburra.

What a day! I was completely unsuccessful in betting on any winners. Think they all came last or second last as soon as I put money on them. The track at Louth is a dirt track with free dust included. It had rained recently and the inside of the track was full of yellow flowers. But the day was very enjoyable. Good racing, with a few more ales and fantastic company. A few of us had to have a mid afternoon nap and 2 individuals who shall remain nameless got sunburnt whilst lying on the top of their swags (Dave and Erin). That night there was much dancing to the band as well as drinking to the point THE BAR RAN OUT OF BOOZE AT 830pm. Lucky we brought our own as well.

We were camped next to some guys from Sydney and they joined in our entertainment for the evening. A couple of them seemed very keen on Erin.

Woke up in the morning to the golden glow of sunrise and Sophie laughing with the kookaburras. We all slowly surfaced and went to get some breakfast. We packed up and headed home. Stopping at the Tilpa Pub for another drink and some food.

Next trip to Hunter Vineyards and Home to the Farm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Percy's Drinks CartPercy's Drinks Cart
Percy's Drinks Cart

Serious drinkers need serious eskys
The HatsThe Hats
The Hats

Waiting for the racing to start
HorsesHorses
Horses

Horses and punters waiting for the racing to start
Dave & Erin Dave & Erin
Dave & Erin

Improving their tans
Admirer & ErinAdmirer & Erin
Admirer & Erin

He was so unkucky
Sunday MorningSunday Morning
Sunday Morning

I'm so tired
DaveDave
Dave

Morning Dave!!!
DanDan
Dan

How's the shower?
Some of the gang at LouthSome of the gang at Louth
Some of the gang at Louth

jason, Elisa, Dave, Angela, Erin, Dave, Jill, Erin, & Dazza
Gaveyard and Garbage DumpGaveyard and Garbage Dump
Gaveyard and Garbage Dump

Are they the same spot?
The Gang at TilpaThe Gang at Tilpa
The Gang at Tilpa

(L-R) Erin, Jess, Dave, Bernie, Elisa, Jill, Jason, Angela, Dan, Erin, Dave, Jodie, Johno, Dazza


18th October 2006

This is GREAT!!
This is great Daz. It's good to reminisce!!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb