Ceduna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
November 8th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This blog covers our trip from Streaky Bay to Ceduna on the 8th until leaving Ceduna the morning of the 10th.

Leaving Streaky Bay was a 'wrench', what a great spot, but we had many more adventures and 'great spots' in front of us to look forward to and see. Our first stop was Smoky Bay. Another great holidaying and fishing destination with a jetty and fantastic boat ramp facilities. And then there are the Oysters....there are over 30 Oyster growers in the Bay and they supply (supposedly) 50% of the local, interstate and international markets, Today a thriving 'holiday' town exists supported by a thriving caravan park and general store. We have seen a few of these now, shark proof swimming cages, the size of a 50 mtr swimming pool, attached to and alongside the towns jetty and Smoky Bay is no different it has one also. With all of these and the natural 'hazard warnings' (see photos from Streaky Bay blog), we were starting to get the message! Another great fisho spot along the coast with a tidy little caravan park, This coast is living up to all expectations of being a fishermans paradise.

Leaving Smoky Bay we head off to Ceduna, 40Klm west of here. The town of Ceduna is locted on the far west coast of SA, on the shores of Murat Bay on the Great Australian Bight, approx 800 klm from Adelaide and 1900 road Klms to Perth. (How come we have done 1800Klm from Port Augusta to here !!!). It is popularly believed that Ceduna is derived from the Aboriginal word Cheedoona, which means 'A place to sit down and rest' - which is what we are doing !!!! Boasting blue skies most of the year and plenty of excellent facilities Ceduna is the last major town on the drive west to Perth across the Nullabor. With a history in the Agricultural, salt and gypsum mining,and seafood sectors, Ceduna (pop 3600) is regarded as the business hub of the far west. Ceduna is set among patchwork of grain farms, natural bush and rugged rocky bays, secluded white sandy beaches (complete with natural hazards!), and is rapidly developing a reputation as more than a stopover for tourists.

We did the normal tourist drives around town and on our return from Pinky Point and Thevenard, we called in at Baldy's Fresh and Frozen, a seafood wholesaler. On entering the 'big blue shed', we were met by Pete (Baldy) filleting shark and Mulloway (big ones) and during conversation he said try one of these....an oyster, yep, they were fresh and tasted fantastic! A couple more oysters passed to us whilst we waited for him to shuck a dozen to take away ($11/doz). Whilst selecting some whiting fillets, out came some fried mulloway. "Have a piece' he says, so we are not too shy in accepting. After parting with $20 for our purchases and already a few Oysters up, we sit outside to eat our fish...fantastic, beautiful in fact. Out comes Baldy, "you better take one of these' and he thrusts a stubby holder in my hand. Anybody reading this blog who is passing through Ceduna has to go and see Baldy in his business, fantastic stories, great fish and pricing, and overall genuine good guy. Anyone in Ceduna will tell you where he is on the Thevenard road. He supplies fish and shellfish to all states and direct to a number of restaurants.

Oh yes, after swimming at Shelly Beach the day before he told us of a Great White sighting only 12 days ago about 200mtrs off shore but he reassured us by saying it was only a little one, about 11 feet !



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ceduna Ceduna
Ceduna

Trisha & Jackie looking towards Ceduna township from boat ramp at Thevenard
Baldy's Fresh N Frozen Fish ProcessorsBaldy's Fresh N Frozen Fish Processors
Baldy's Fresh N Frozen Fish Processors

The best fish shop we have found !


9th November 2011

Only a little one?!?!
Hi guys! Glad to hear Ceduna is treating you well and it definitely sounds like Baldy's fish shop is the place to go! You better stock up on oysters and fish before you hit the nullarbour! Oh, and stay out of the water!
11th November 2011

hello from vic
great reading Mike and trish. I was going to ask did you awim in the 'cage; i do hope so! lucky to be swimming really after the amazing weather we have been experiencing here. the other nite the most amazing storm came through, never seen rain faling and bein blown 'every which way' the wind was so strong. lots of damage to some properties. always amazes me that some houses lose lots of trees and the house next door doesn't! the house on the corner up from us had some awful debris but no structural damage to the house. come on summer!! Judy (my friend in WA) she and i stayed at Ceduna when we drove home from Perth many moons ago now. we were 21! we made a pact that we would stay over in Eucla and ceduna. did not see anything other than the motel. got in late left early. The Nullaboor was dirt road and potholes great experience for 2 girls. had 2 puctures along the way, made ourselves 'damsels in distress' and got help to change the tyres. !!!!! Trish thanks for the book, so llovely of you to send to me.

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb