Day 5 Coober Pedy to Pildapa Rock SA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
May 8th 2011
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 5
7am start again. Low traffic again. Made a stop at Lake Hart to see the salt lakes. A beautiful rest area except for the rubbish around. The place was littered with broken beer bottles, used toilet paper and faeces. In fact almost every rest area without a toilet you will encounter used toilet paper around. We fuelled up at Port Augusta and did a quick stop at IGA to stock up on food. Fuel was cheaper than Darwin at $1.55/litre. I wanted to give a phone call to James and Karen but decided not to because it was Easter weekend. They most probably will be at Easter camp. We then headed down along the Eyre Highway towards the Nullabor. This was my first time on this road ever. A welcome change of scenery with farming countryside. Most of it looks like pastoral land for sheep. We stopped that evening at Pidalpa Rock about 160km East of Ceduna. It’s about 16km of dirt road to get in but easy going. I prefer not to take the bitumen road on this trip if possible. It’s a lovely camp site with pit toilet. The Pidalpa rock is like a miniature Ayers Rock. It’s also climbable and offer a great vista of SA farming country. We reached about 5.30pm and light was disappearing. It just gets dark too early this time of year and I can’t really get use to it. We basically cooking and eating in the dark every evening. I quickly got the boys to start climbing Pildapa Rock before it gets totally dark. It’s great to get the boys stretching their legs after such long drives for days. They have been great travellers which I praise the Lord for. I expected here to be colder than Alice and Coober Pedy, but was surprised that it was 18C at night. So a very pleasant night sleep until I heard some critter playing around some plastic bags. I couldn’t make it out whether it was inside the camper or outside.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb