Hi, we had Easter on the Nullabor.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all
We arrived in Ceduna yesterday, after crossing the Nullabor. We had a lot of fun with Joy and Geoff Davis, from Gisbourne, playing the rustic holes of the Nullabor Links Golf Course. There was a golf hole at each Roadhouse, most were very rough with bushes, trees, and undulating rough ground, and fast astroturf greens. Chris hired lefthanded clubs at each place , and I used some of Joy's clubs. We sure had a load of laughs, and will finish off the last two holes here in Ceduna with them tomorrow. Chris and I each managed 1 par .
Lots of good freeparks are along the way, so we bush camped each night. One night Chris led us down a 4WD track from the road not used for a long time, and we had to prune bushes and branches on the way in to find room to turn around and park. Geoff had his saw out and got in on the act too! Another night we spent at the Head of the Great Australian Bight, beside the visitor centre for the whale watching - it's shut until the season starts again - very quiet and well away from the main road. There were lots of roadtrains and caravans heading west on the road, a lot more traffic than we expected.
The diesel got expensive, as expected, up to 171.4 cents per litre at Madura Roadhouse. We filled up at each Roadhouse. Unfortunately, we had head winds for 2 of the days.
At Fowlers Bay , we thought we'd stay the night, but the caravan park was full and free camping was not allowed around there, so we walked the long wharf, looked at the big sand dunes all around the historic town, and drove back up the dusty road to the Eyre Highway, where we camped at a Historic School site. We had our last night there with Joy and Geoff, swatting flies, as we had drinks and ate our BBQed steak dinners and the last of our vegetables outside. (the flies got worse , the further east we came!) We passed through the Quarantine Station just before Ceduna, where they check the van fridge, etc to make sure you have no fruit or vegetables. Joy and Geoff have now gone on to Smokey Bay to stay with friends there for a few days, then are meeting her cousin for their last week. They are storing their van in Adelaide and flying home for a while. We really enjoyed their company, especially on such a boring long road. Geoff is a great story teller!
Next we plan to explore the Eyre and York Peninsulas. We may fly home for a couple of weeks from Adelaide, but nothing booked yet. Chris will need to see his skin specialist again (his skin is great on the new drugs, but he has to be closer monitored.)
Hope you all had a Happy Easter
Cheers Lynne and Chris



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

with Joy and Geoffwith Joy and Geoff
with Joy and Geoff

ready for a par 3 over the trees (I was on the green here for 1, but 3 putted!
Eucla signpostEucla signpost
Eucla signpost

our vans are parked behind.
Bunda Cliffs from lookoutBunda Cliffs from lookout
Bunda Cliffs from lookout

These limestone cliffs are 40 - 80 metres high and stretch 800kms along this coastline.
Fowlers Bay from wharfFowlers Bay from wharf
Fowlers Bay from wharf

big sandhills are around the town.
ship loading grain at Therenard, near Cedunaship loading grain at Therenard, near Ceduna
ship loading grain at Therenard, near Ceduna

Ceduna exports grain, salt and gypsum.


5th April 2010

Nullabor
It's stretching our memories - we were last there in the early 70's! Have you been following the progress of Jessica Watson from Mooloolaba in the Elle Bache "Pink Lady" attempting to be the youngest ever to sail around the world - look up her website "Jessica Watson". She is almost home and you can give her a wave as she sails south of you. I understand she will be sailing around the bottom of Tas before heading up the coast and hopes to be in Sydney in early May to be able to beat the record. As always, love all the pics. Happy Easter and happy travels. Just started to rain (again) here and Phil is out cycling. Me off to work shortly. Bye for now, Jill and Phil.
6th April 2010

keeping in touch
G,day to you both.......hope you had a nice Easter..........we down graded and went tent camping with 2 other couples to Paddy river falls.....probably 50klms from Corryong.....over into N S W. was very relaxing around the camp fire....and sunny days. Glad you survived the Nullabor.....and the golf. Love hearing of your doings......enjoy.....love mardi......
6th April 2010

Thanks for the comments
We commented that Jessica must be out there somewhere, when we stood at the lookouts! She is certainly doing well.
8th April 2010

Hope you enjoyed the golf as much as we did, it sure breaks up the journey. When you get to Whyalla, go to Fitzgerald Bay, the crabs there jump into your pot, Keep on travelling safely Kurt and Chris

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb