Happy Easter from Kalgoorlie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
March 29th 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Excavator bucket at lookoutExcavator bucket at lookoutExcavator bucket at lookout

Kalgoorlie Gold Mine superpit.
Hi all
I am updating this tonight as tomorrow we leave Kalgoorlie after 5 nights here, and head off to the Nullabor for Easter, where we will probably be out of range. We plan to reach Ceduna about Monday.
From Norseman, we drove north, stopping at Coolgardie for a look around. The streets are very wide, as they needed to be able to turn camel trains around - camels don't turn easily! We tracked down artist Jackie Mills and looked through her gallery - we had seen work she had done for Steve and Lou (where we left our van in Perth). At the museum opposite we found information about Rick's relation Jim Larcombe, who found the largest gold nugget ever discovered in WA as a 16 year old in 1931. Named the Golden Eagle, it weighed 1135 ozs. Driving on to Kalgoorlie, we were flagged down , and helped a woman change a tyre, again using our van wheelbrace - the second time it has been used to help someone. At Kalgoorlie, we booked in for 3 nights, but later added 2 more nights. There is lots to see and do here.
The Superpit goldmine is amazing, and we enjoyed the informative tour. The public lookout gives a good view, and we've been back there twice, to watch a blast, and at night. Another tour we did was to see the flying Doctor Service here, and were surprised to find out that 70% of the work is hospital transfers, to and from Perth.
Another tour we did (recommended by Chris' doctor in Albany) was through the Langtrees bordello. Some of the bedrooms were interesting, very high class -there was a Afghan and French and Asian boudoir, sportsroom done like a boxing ring, even a Holden car room! A NZ woman had it rebuilt about 15 years ago, but there are 2 other old style brothels still operating too, next door.
We have played 3 holes of the Longest Golf Course in the World, and will continue to play as we head accross the Nullabor. It's not easy! Rustic fairways, very slow sand greens, although we're told the artificial greens on some holes are lightening fast!
Yesterday morning we met up again with a NZ couple, Geoff and Joy from Gisbourne,we first met in Geraldton about October. They went home for Xmas too, and the couple they were travelling with haven't
superpitsuperpitsuperpit

it's so huge it's hard to get a photo
come back yet. They are leaving tomorrow too, to head accross the Nullabor, so we will travel together. They are playing golf too, so should be fun.
We went down yesterday to Kambalda to play the 3rd hole , and continued on to the salt lake, Lake Lefroy, where landyachting takes place, supposedly on a Sunday. We had to ask 3 locals how to find the track . (we were eventually told you turned off the main road onto a dirt track at a tractor tyre, no sign!!) When we got there , noone was there, but we had our picnic lunch in a pretty spot, anyway.
We found the clubhouse, very rustic, and there was a blocart sign on the wall, but no landyachts in sight.
We've had drinks with Geoff and Joy each night and compared notes, today they went through another brothel which sounded really old but also interesting. There are lots of old pubs here, and also lots of NZers working.
Hope you all have a Happy Easter.
Good luck Tracey with the London Marathon, hope you all have a great time in UK.
Cheers Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

LangtreesLangtrees
Langtrees

we did a tour of this one
Golf at KambaldaGolf at Kambalda
Golf at Kambalda

hole no 3 Nullabor Links Course
Golden NuggetGolden Nugget
Golden Nugget

Found by 16 yr old Jim Larcombe
Widge Roadehouse signWidge Roadehouse sign
Widge Roadehouse sign

Near here the gold was found in 1931
Golden Eagle HotelGolden Eagle Hotel
Golden Eagle Hotel

Bought by the Larcombe family with the money from the gold -typical pub, there are lots in Kalgoorlie.


29th March 2010

Melbourne
Good write up Lynne, Did you get my message re me being in Melbourne 23,24,25 April. Wondering approx where you might be?
31st March 2010

Easter Blog.
Hi Lynne and Chris, Many thanks for the last 2 updates. Yiou were lucky to have missed the storm in Perth. You are still seeing some great sights and it is good to be able to keep up with your travels like this. Ric will be wishing that he could have had a piece of the nugget. Weather permitting, we will be sailing in BOI at Easter. The forecast looks favourable. I sailed the boat down to KeriKeri last Friday. Have rented a marina Berth for a couple of weeks. I have been out fishing with friends who are staying with us for a couple of nights. Came home with 4 nice Snapper. Don't eat too many Easter Eggs, but did hear on the TV this morning, Dark Chocolate is good for the health. Best wishes and safe travelling, Graeme and Margaret.
31st March 2010

Great update thank you. Happy Ester guys
6th April 2010

Kalgoorie
This place has always fascinated me, so thanks for the detailed descriptions. Edgar Hoover worked there as a mining engineer before he became President. Hope Lynne wasn't tempted to get a temporary job at Langtrees. Pity we are friends with the wrong Larcombe family member! Easter at Waiheke was stunning. Four days of dead calm seas in our bay which was full of boats, warm water for kayaking and swimming. We are in Melbourne from 11 to 16 May to see Jersey Boys.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb