Birdsville Track & Mungaranie Station 27 November 2016


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Birdsville Track
November 27th 2016
Published: December 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 27 November 2016



Today was the start of our Birdsville Track odyssey which we tried to do with the Cathcarts in mid-September but the Track was closed due to flooding.



We left Marree at about 9.00pm. We had stayed hitched over night because everything is in walking distance in this little outback town. After fuelling up, we were off and heading north. The road was excellent and we were wondering if it should be called a “track” as it was so good. There was certainly evidence of grader work since the closing of the Track.



As we were in no hurry, we stopped at all the sidings, camp sites and other points of interest. Our lunch stop had big trees and push-button toilet facilities.



It was about 1.00pm when we arrived at Mungerannie Station. No one seemed to be around so we parked amongst some trees, close to a beautiful spring which had railway sleepers around the edge. Soon, we were sitting next to it, drinking a nice cold beer.



Next to the spring was some wetlands and soon we started to count numerous birds and ducks flying in and resting on trees. It was a beautiful spot.



Eventually the owner of the Station came home. Facilities were excellent with very clean toilets and showers. They had diesel for $1.90/ltr. Which was the highest priced fuel we had purchased on this trip.



It was time for a BBQ that night which we really enjoyed over a lovely white wine.



The only down side of the camping site was after dark a massive swarm of beetles surrounded our van, so much so that we thought it was raining. When Tom went out and back into the van, he let 100s of beetles in. We spent the next hour killing them all, and for the next 4 days we were finding them mainly coming out of the window system of our van!!!



Monday 28 Nov – 1 Dec 2016 Birdsville



Mungaranie Hotel owner was an interesting guy, with long hair and grey beard and it appeared he lived by himself. We had a good chat to him as we paid for fuel and found out that he was wanting to sell the Hotel. He had been there for 4 years. We had a great look around the Hotel. Most of these outback hotels are so interesting, with things stuck to every inch of the ceilings and walls. This one was no exception. There were hats, bras, money, business cards and many long clumps of hair!!!! I am sure the place would be even more interesting in the winter.



It was time to head north to Birdsville. The high quality of the Birdsville Track continued. Other than a stony section about 140kms south of Birdsville where we slowed down to about 60kph, is was a fantastic run. We arrived in Birdsville after 5 hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb