Return to Adelaide


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Monday 1st May 2023

As we had packed up most of the gear yesterday it was an easy morning before our departure. As the total distance we intended travelling today was just over 60kms we were in no rush.

The car performed beautifully today and we are both regaining confidence in the Jeep.

First stop was Strathalbyn, a small town we visited on an earlier trip. Lovely little town and one with good memories for us. Last time we were here we visited a motor museum/exotic car sales place. Rags then fell in love with a Maserati sedan they were selling but common sense (and Judy) prevailed. Parts impossible to get, need to manufacture your own. We found the business again, now greatly expanded in new buildings, still with lots of different exotic cars for sale. Rags wished he was 20 years younger.

A walk around the streets was most interesting, the town obviously proud of its heritage with lots of the original buildings restored and the parks and gardens very well maintained. Judy reflected that if her great great grandmother's first husband hadn't been murdered here, Judy would never have been born.

Being so close
Kimbolton Wines, Langhorne CreekKimbolton Wines, Langhorne CreekKimbolton Wines, Langhorne Creek

Here they have a "Flight" of wines. You sit down and are given a selection they choose.
to Adelaide you can imagine what this place would be like in the weekends.

Langhorne Creek is a small village about 20kms on and it was here at Frank Potts Reserve that we set up camp. For the first time this trip we pulled out the extra solar panel to charge the caravan battery as we wanted to stay here for several days. Lovely spot with plenty of spaces and a clean drop toilet the only facility.

We checked out different wineries, all within a few kilometres from the camp. Being responsible people we shared the tastings and limited the number of wineries visited to three. Neither of us were overly impressed by the wines but the people at two of the wineries impressed us with their knowledge and friendliness. Returning to the campsite we couldn't believe our eyes; all that space and someone had parked almost within touching distance. Judy was livid, Rags, quite mellow at this time, accepted it with a shrug. Strangely, no-one came out of the van and we never saw them until they left the next day.

Tuesday 2nd May 2023

Today we drove to Milang, a small town set on
Milang on Lake AlexandrinaMilang on Lake AlexandrinaMilang on Lake Alexandrina

At the railway museum
the banks of coastal, Lake Alexandrina. This freshwater lake is about 650 sq kms in area and is fed by the Murray River. It was a port in the past, from where wool was shipped to Adelaide. Now it is a popular holiday town with many shacks as well as modern houses.

While there we came across the Railway Museum where today a tourist group was having a Devonshire morning tea. One of the train restorer members there took us under his wing and gave us firstly a ride in one of the restored carriages towed by a small engine and secondly gave us a full tour of the complex, explaining all about the trains and the staff as well as the refurbished station. He was very enthusiastic and we felt quite privileged to have a private tour.

It started raining at the end of our tour so we found the local cafe where we settled in for a coffee. This has become quite a habit this trip!

Three more wineries were visited and as it was lunchtime we looked for one where food was served. Only one was serving food today and then only a cheese
Monarto Safari ParkMonarto Safari ParkMonarto Safari Park

Shandu: the world's largest rhino sculpture.
platter, so we returned to camp to enjoy our own cheese and mettwurst platter.

Wednesday 3rd May 2023

Today turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days so gar on this trip. We drove the 40kms to the Monarto Safari Park, a zoo spread over 1500 hectares making it the largest safari park out of Africa. There are over 50 different species of animals here that can be studied and hopefully bred to avoid future extinction.

Not all the animals were available for viewing but those that were included all the expected Australian animals as well as lions, tigers, cheetahs etc as well as many of the deer family, giraffes, zebras, monkeys, rhinos and so on. These animals weren't in cages as in a normal zoo, instead they roamed the property, separated from the other animals and humans by deep moats and high fences.

Buses circled the exhibits, people getting off where they wished, and then picked up by other buses coming every 20 minutes. There are also over 12kms of paths connecting the exhibits for those who preferred walking. We did both and spent about 5 hours looking at different animals during our visit. In the near future glamping tents and other accommodation are to be built, allowing night tours etc to be introduced.

The weather was perfect for us today, little wind and just a few clouds, with the temperature pleasant to be outside. We were exhausted by the time we returned to the caravan but both felt it was well and truly worth it.

Thursday 4th May 2023

Our next stop was Murray Bridge, a town we have passed through many times. Many of the campsites along the Murray River are now closed due to flooding. Even though the water levels have now dropped to where they were we could see the watermarks on fences and buildings and the damage caused.

We parked our caravan at the park as you enter the township area, about 4 kms from the centre. This park is well set out and we took one of the last sites available. We have been lucky so far this trip, sites everywhere tend to be booked or difficult to find. We took the opportunity to use our washing machine in the van, using their power and water. With our awning up we can have
Bunyip Bunyip Bunyip

This comes out from underwater making eerie sounds
the washing hanging out of the rain.

An early explore by the Murray River near the town centre had us looking at several houseboats and commercial paddle boats as well as a manmade cave with its own Bunyip. This bunyip could be seen underwater and every so often surfaced making all sorts of eerie sounds. Very entertaining for a few young children there.

Friday 5th May 2023

A paddleboat lunch cruise on the Captain Proud was the order of the day. The boat may have been proud at one time but presently could do with a little TLC with peeling paint and rust being in abundance. Even so, it was fun to cruise on the Murray River at a table, being able to see the flooded river from a different angle as well as interesting buildings, vegetation and cliffs alongside the river.

A lunch was served and we continued along eating and imbibing as we went. Not a bad way to spend 3 hours.

No sooner had we stepped off the boat and the weather, which had been holding off, opened the heavens. Very lucky again as the rain continued sporadically for the next few days.

Saturday 6th May 2023

Today the weather has varied with rain early in the morning, fine when we went shopping and sightseeing, rain for the afternoon.

This didn't phase us too much, our visit to the Round House near the bridge being fine weather. The Round House was built in 1876 out of sandstone in a hexagonal shape, it given its name as it appeared round viewed from the passing boats. It housed the Superintendent of Works, Henry Parker, whilst the bridge across the Murray was built. Since then it has been used as a school, post office, church and council chamber.

The rooms have been restored and a team of enthusiasts maintain it and open it to visitors. It was an open day today and volunteers showed us around and shared its history.

The sky was black in the distance and Rags thought we were in for severe weather. Luckily this didn't eventuate and only a little rain fell where we were camped.It was cold though and the afternoon was spent inside with the airconditioner heating the van. Judy spent her time marking university assignments, Rags getting the blog up to date whilst soup was cooking in our Instant Pot cooker.

Sunday 7th May 2023

A return visit to Tailem Bend today, a little disappointing. The main feature there is the International Motor Complex which we didn't get to see, the town itself looking rather tired. We did visit the big outdoor museum just out of town, this being a large village with buildings brought in from other areas as they closed, filled with period furniture, belongings, machinery and cars.

Most of the exhibits were moved there in the 1970s and it would have been a first class display in the early days. Now it is quite run-down and doesn't appear to be getting too much attention. The owner appears to be running the place by himself and as he is getting older not a lot can be achieved. Some of the displays and vintage cars there are still in good condition so we hope that either some-one takes over the management or it is sold and new owners restore it.

Monday 8th May 2023

We woke up this morning with no preset plans for the day. We decided to go to Mannum, a town a little further
MannumMannumMannum

Slowly restoring the waterfront
up the Murray River. Here we saw some of the damage that the floods caused and how the town is trying to get back on it's feet. The water came right up to the main street, which runs parallel to the river about 150m away. Most of the buildings on the riverside of the road had been flooded, the remains of a levy bank still visible on the footpaths saving the other side. Watermarks on fences showed the height of the water, over a metre high for many buildings.

Whilst having a coffee we were told that many caravan parks upriver were still closed and with this information we altered our plans for tonight's destination. Greenoch was not too far away and as we were familiar with camping on the oval there from two previous trips we headed there. After setting up there we were glad we had come early, the stream of new arrivals showing how popular this place has become.

Wine tasting was the order of the afternoon and the first visit was to the magnificent Seppeltsfield Winery. Seppelts was one of the first wine producers in this area and they have left a legacy of
Two Hands wineryTwo Hands wineryTwo Hands winery

Rachel was a great host
beautiful old buildings housing many relics of the time as well as the usual wine tasting. This is another winery we have visited on previous occasions so we didn't indulge. Instead we drove off randomly and came across the highlight of our tasting venues; Two Hand Winery. This winery is a little off the normal track and we were the only ones there. Rachel, the lady serving there sat us down and gave us some background of the winery. Apparently the owner wanted to make Shiraz and so we proceeded to taste it! The first three wines were made from grapes grown in different areas and the tastes varied from full-bodied, fruity and spicy. Excellent. Then a 2020 shiraz priced at $125/bottle and a 2018 shiraz at $180/bottle were also tasted as they were open bottles. Very nice but not what we would buy. Instead we bought a $50 bottle of muscat as a 'sticky'. Rachel must have enjoyed our company as she then presented us with 2 tasting glasses to take home!

Tuesday 9th May 2023

This morning was our coldest yet, and free camping as we are there was no air conditioner to warm us up!

Off to Maggie Beer's Kitchen for morning coffee and a bit of slice. Lovely setting we never tire of whenever we are here, with the occasional turtle popping up in the lake it overlooks. It has changed a little since we were here last, Maggie selling it to new owners. Still good with a larger range of condiments etc.

From here we drove to a lavender farm just outside of Lyndoch, the little town we rode our bikes to from Gawler. There wasn't any lavender blooming because of the coolness and as the kitchen was also closed we didn't stay too long.

On to Lyndoch where we first visited Keis Winery, tasting an array of wines before purchasing a 5 litre container of Ruby Port. This should help keep the cold away on our trip home! Lunch was at a lovely cafe next to the bakery there, most places still having limited service due to a shortage of staff.

Wednesday 10th May 2023

Off to Adelaide Beachfront Caravan Park this morning, arriving just after noon. After setting up camp we drove into Port Adelaide where we walked around the port and revived memories from when we were last there as well as looking at the new developments. A trip to the shops followed where we bought a few supplies, nothing perishable as we wouldn't be around to use them.

Thursday 11th May 2023

This morning we caught the train into Adelaide, mainly to buy some more of the delicious Ash Brie cheese we had bought at the markets previously to take home. Lashed out a bit and bought 3 rounds, 2 to take home and freeze, one to eat on our journey home. Lunch at our favourite cafe there, Dumpling King, Chinese food a little different than at home.

Back to the caravan park, we showered, and set off to the airport for our quick trip back to Perth. We had a little food and celebratory drinks at the Qantas Lounge having claimed our complimentary passes through our credit card membership. A new experience for both of us, a civilised way to start a flight.

A pleasant enough flight, but in "cattle class" and to Rags' disgust the meal was either chicken salad or sausages and mash. The promised upgrade in meals promised by Qantas certainly weren't on this flight. To make matters worse, when we arrived in Perth, there were problems with the air bridge and it took nearly an hour to get off the plane. The pilot did come on the intercom to apologise, and to put the blame on Perth Airport.

Our friends, Sue and Alan, still picked us up even though it was now after 2200 hrs. Great friends, and very much appreciated.

Friday 12th May - Monday 15th May

What a hectic 4 days. catchup with Jan, our house-sitter, when she returned from a quick ride to Fremantle, Judy out shopping with Jean, coffee with Shaun, and after a rest we joined them with Calvin and Shereen for dinner at their place. Jan, Sue and Alan joined us for coffee and drinks. Great welcome home!

On Saturday Judy was off to have her hair and nails done, meeting Rags who was having a coffee with Julie and Steve. Both of us enjoyed seeing them and want to do this more often in the future.

From then on the day got busier and busier. Sue and Alan went beyond expected and delivered us to the QT hotel in Perth where we checked into our room. Here we readied ourselves for the reason we came back to Perth, the marriage of Ryan and Sabrina. This was a low-keyed affair, as they wanted, with only close family and a couple of friends, followed by a delicious meal and copious drinks for all. The younger group apparently kicked on for some time after, we both pulled the pin at a similar time.

Sunday, Mothers Day, started with breakfast, some a little more bleary than others. After lots of hugs and kisses later we took an Uber back to our home. We had an enjoyable meal with Jan at home, as she had prepared a meal and frozen it in preparation. Thank you, Jan.

Monday morning was quite relaxed, we did a little gardening to keep us busy. Just before lunch we got ourselves ready to leave.

Once again Alan and Sue took us under their wing and took us to the airport. (We owe them a few wines now.) A bit of time in the Qantas lounge before an uneventful trip (with a better meal) back to Adelaide.

Everything was good back at the caravan and we both slept like logs.
Ryan & Sabrina's WeddingRyan & Sabrina's WeddingRyan & Sabrina's Wedding

Scrub up pretty well








Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Tailem BendTailem Bend
Tailem Bend

The paddocks are slowly drying.
Old Tailem TownOld Tailem Town
Old Tailem Town

How people used to live.


Tot: 0.493s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb