Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
April 11th 2011
Published: May 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We couch-surfed in Adelaide with a lady who did not ask us one question about us, not once and I cooked all her meals and made her drinks and I did not get one thank you so a bit of a strange experience really! It rained quite a bit whilst we were in Adelaide but we tried to make the most of it; we walked 17km to town and back twice through a nice park; visited a really good food market, went to the Migration museum which was really interesting and visited the wine centre and botanical gardens; so quite a chilled affair.

We then managed to get another relocation campervan deal with Wicked Campers so we set out towards the Great Ocean Road. This camper was so shit, not wicked at all and was nearly falling apart; the weather was poo and the heating didn’t work so I spent half my time under a sleeping bag. The first night we parked up in the middle of shrub land and Dim had a mini freak that we were in a sacred aboriginal area and freaked me out in the process; it was too late to move so we just got pissed and played cards to take our mind of whatever it was we were worried about!

The following morning the weather was still rubbish but after driving a few hours and stopping at a charity shop to pick up some warm clothes we hit the Great Ocean Road, but quite late. The scenery was spectacular but the weather could have been better and we needed to find somewhere to sleep as it was dark; we ended up sleeping in the 12 Apostles visitors car park so it was great to wake up and walk to the viewing points to see the 12 Apostles first thing. On the way back to the van we saw a sign saying there were fines for sleeping in the car park so we needed to get out of there and quick but the van wouldn’t start so we had to push it off to get it started aargghh..

The rest of the drive was lovely and the views of the ocean were really spectacular but we were rushing and the weather was not on our side so we will hopefully be able to come back with more time and better weather; We arrived
ErikaErikaErika

you make your own assumptions!!
in Melbourne late afternoon with no accommodation sorted out but we managed to get a hostel albeit an expensive one in a 10 bed dorm. We did manage to get some good sleep and woke up excited about making our way to Murray River to stay on a farm with Debbie and Padge, family friends of Dims.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The new camperThe new camper
The new camper

This was a right shed of shite
Camp ground 1Camp ground 1
Camp ground 1

This was where we thought was sacred ground
12 Apostles...we thought12 Apostles...we thought
12 Apostles...we thought

It was bloody freezing this morning and we found this bay which we thought was the 12 apostles
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

Apparently this connecting gap collapsed and a couple were stranded for a few hours on the newly made island!
The long roadThe long road
The long road

The views were amazing, it just rained every day. Just like home.
Mary LaughingMary Laughing
Mary Laughing

We pulled up at the side of the road and Dim started to have a piss, another car came behind and he didn't realise...and once you pop you can't stop!!
Torquay BayTorquay Bay
Torquay Bay

A bit better then our Torquay!


2nd May 2011

Adelaide
Wish i'd known you were going to Adelaide peeps, Killas 2 brothers live there Dave and Geoff they would probably have put you up, let us know if you go back will try and arrange something!! Take care Love Pat and Killa

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb