Barossa Valley - more wine!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
January 16th 2006
Published: January 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

barossa_PLehmannbarossa_PLehmannbarossa_PLehmann

Peter Lehmann
Next day, toured around the Barossa Valley, approx an hour from Adelaide centre. Had a great day, and it's suprising how many massive wine exporters are based here, lots of the UK's favourites: Wolf Blass, Penfolds, Lehmann Bros, Jacob's Creek, just to name the ones we made it to:

Wolf Blass. Fab new cellar door and marketing suite, very corporate and caters for large groups and tours. We got a really personal service, as we arrived just as a large group left. There is a good exhibition of the man himself, Wolf Blass, who is now local to the area - still lives on the property. Spen bought a nice bottle of Shiraz.

Penfolds A smaller, more cosy cellar door, but again, really nice service and attention given to us. Learnt about the relevance of Bin no's, which was useful. Apparently, during the 1940s and 50s, the wine industry went into an experimental period, following an extended period of fortified wine production. This lead to a greater no of blends being produced, which were then stored in various 'bins' which were then numbered. This led the way for bin varieties, and can be reproduced year on year.

Peter Lehmann Wines. Both
barossa_WolfB_Spenbarossa_WolfB_Spenbarossa_WolfB_Spen

Wolf Blass - Spen
our favourites, as it was a more traditional vine yard, set in beautiful gardens, which a little brook and picturesque restaurant that was so relaxed and welcoming. Had a great tasting session, bought a bottle of Semillion to take away and really enjoyed a farmhouse platter on the veranda with complimentary Semillion for the lady. Nice!

Jacobs Creek. Big, corporate set-up, nice setting but a bit impersonal. They were happy to dish out the cheaper wines but no tasting for the decent stuff. Still, had to be done, it is Jacob's Creek afterall.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb