Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
October 27th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One thing we noticed on the way into town from the airport yesterday was that they already have some Christmas ornaments up in the streets here in Adelaide. Okay, guys, can we at least wait until November 1st? Actually, it seems there is a Christmas parade here early in November, so they get ready early.

Walking through the city yesterday we found Synagogue Place. And guess what, there's actually a synagogue there. But it was closed and we don't know if it's still in operation (Rabbi Kushner, do you know?).

We managed to catch part of the recap of Game 3 of the World Series last night. From the 7th through 9th innings. Oy, did Tampa Bay throw away that game or what. We were on the road during Game 4, but we're hoping there's another re-broadcast tonight. If not, we've already seen the score. (10-2 Phillies).

We actually got to sleep in this morning, we didn't leave the hotel until 9 am. It was gray and gloomy, and a bit cold. We drove up to the Mount Lofty look out point, from which you can supposedly see as far as Kangaroo Island on a clear day. Well, we couldn't see anything except colds, honestly. After that we drove to Hahndorf, which is a German village in the Adelaide Hills. Adelaide prides itself on being the first city in Australia that was founded by settlers, not convicts. The planners knew that they'd need skilled labor, so they decided to make this a place where any religon was welcome. They got a boatload of Lutheran settlers from Prussia and Silensia to come out, and they settled in the Hills. Apparently, during WWI there was legislation that changed all the Germanic town names, so Hahndorf became Ambleside. But since there were so many positive associations with the name Hahndorf, it was eventually changed back.

After a brief stop there, we drove across the hills to the Barossa valley, which is one of the six wine regions in Australia (don't ask me where the others are). Along the way, we saw what's called the Herbig Family Tree. It's a real tree, in which the Herbig family (mom, dad and 2 kids) lived for 5 years. I guess the poor man couldn't afford to build a house. It's a bit weird, got to admit.

We drove on through the valley to Saltram winery, for a brief wine tasting and lunch.

I should comment on one nice thing that's been going on this trip. Pretty much everywhere we've gone, they've been very accomodating about special food requests. They gave us a Kosher appetizer plate today so that we didn't have the sliced meats that we knew weren't kosher and didn't have to worry about the veggies touching the pork products. And when we asked for a second plate of cooked vegetables (since the first one had been around the table and people were putting thier own forks in), there was no problem.

After the winery, we drove back through the hills, stopping at another look out point that overlooked the valley. Since the skies had cleared, it was quite nice. Also, there was a small sculpture garden there that was interesting.

We drove back through the Hills to Adelaide and then drove through the town while our bus driver pointed out the sights and gave some info.

Well, H has headed back to the hotel with our groceries for dinner and I'm getting a bit hungry, so I'll say goodnight.

Tomorrow is Kangaroo Island, and then Wednesday is the Overlander train from Adelaide to Melbourne. Both are long days, so I don't expect to be back on until either Wednesday evening or Thursday.

Love to all!


P.S. Micheal, Haviva asks that you remind the kids to care and feed the Webkinz, and especially, don't forget to take care of the gardens.

Advertisement



27th October 2008

I miss you
I am glad you are having a great time! I miss you!

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb