Kangaroo Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
October 29th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, Tuesday was a LONG day. Up at 5:00 am (and everyone knows how much I love mornings) to leave at 6:15. Only 1/2 of our group went to the island, the rest spent the day in town. Bus ride to the ferry at Cape Jervis was about an hour and a half, then a 45 minute ferry ride to Kangaroo Island. Much better ferry ride then the one to Green Island. This boat was quite a bit bigger and more steady. We got a box breakfast from the hotel since we left before they started serving. It was pretty nice, yogurt, boiled egg, fruit, juice and a roll).

The rest of our folks were flying back from the Island, so we ended up on different busses and only saw them at lunch. We started with a bird show, and saw some pretty birds (a kestrel, a couple of kukaburros, an owl and an eagle), then off to lunch. After lunch we went into Flinders Chase National park, and saw the Remarkable Rocks. Rocks they were, but not really all that remarkable to me. Drove by the old lighthouse to to the seal lookout near Admiral's Arch. We didn't walk all the way down to the arch since we figured if we walked down we would just have to walk back up. The seals at the Arch are New Zealand fur seals.

After a brief stop at the Flinders Chase Visitors Center (or Centre as they still spell it here), we drove to Seal Bay and walked down to the beach and saw the Australian Sealions. On the bus ride back to the Ferry, we saw a few kangaroos in the fields, but no koalas or wombats.

Ride back on the ferry was cool, I got to watch the sunset over the island and get some great shots. Haviva sat with a trio of people we met on the bus, so I didn't feel like I was abandoning her. On the bus ride back to the hotel I played with the camera, having fun with the zoom and cut function. For those keeping count, I'm up to close to 1000 pictures.

We got back to the hotel around 10:30, and sacked in, since we had another early start today.

The folks who flew back got back to the hotel around 7:30, but honestly, I was glad to save the extra cash and in exchange, I got a cool sunset they missed. And they ended up circling for 15 minutes on a 20 minute flight and I know I would NOT have been happy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb