Gorge Wildlife Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide Hills
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had the best day at Gorge wildlife park. It's set up in the hills and we had great views on the drive there. The weather again was perfect for sightseeing sitting at around 31 degrees. When we got to the park we bought biscuits and peanuts to give the animals as treats. I was in charge of the biscuits but now being an adult I didn't do the old 'one for the duck, one for Beccy' routine! (A joke my family have enjoyed since I was little!) But anyway, we started off holding the koala Molly. She was 6 years old and so cuddly and gentle. It was great because we weren't at all hurried and had time to cuddle and take pics and film so that was really nice. Laura loved her first koala cuddling experience.

We then made our way around the park feeding everything in site (don't worry we were allowed to do this and the park itself suggests it and sells the treats- still making sure the animals recieve a balanced diet!) We saw all sorts of animals and loads of birds. We spent a long time feeding the wallabies and the kangaroos. They were so tame and friendly and loved being fed and stroked. We also spent a while by the pond feeding the ducks and the swans. I don't think they have white swans here- only black ones which is interesting. Then we saw the Emus- I was quite scared I was going to be pecked to death at one point whilst trying to take a close up photo over the fence- then Laura kindly reminded me that I have a zoom on my camera and that there was no need to try to get so close! Especially when the sign on their enclosure told you they bite!

We also saw alligators, dingoes, echidnas, wombats, monkeys and so many other animals. We had a great time and loved the park. We had lunch and then said goodbye to the park.

That evening Laura, Jules and I went for a posh dinner down on the river. It was a beautiful restaurant called the Red Ochre and combined traditional Australian grub with elegant setting and views. We sat at the bar while our table was prepared and on mentioning the number of shiraz wines on the menu and asking for a taster
Feeding the WallabiesFeeding the WallabiesFeeding the Wallabies

They were so cute and clearly loved all the attention and the treats!
we very cheekily ended up having a good glass of wine for free while we sat and tasted several different bottles before deciding which one we wanted with our meal! (They were pretty pricey so wanted to get one we liked!) Our meals were amazing. Laura had a prawn and crocodile dish and I had lamb. We also had a side dish of yam and spinach gratin.

After dinner we went into the city for drinks and dancing. Had a great night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Feeding the ducks and black swansFeeding the ducks and black swans
Feeding the ducks and black swans

These ducks followed us until we left the enclosure- they liked the biscuits!
Me and LauraMe and Laura
Me and Laura

Beautiful restaurant- dressed to impress!


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb