Chinderah to Maryborough


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
March 16th 2017
Published: March 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

DSC_0013DSC_0013DSC_0013

Foreshore of Tweed River
Left Grafton on Thursday 9 March, driving along the Summerland Highway, passing through Casino and Lismore. We had stayed at Lismore 9 years ago when travelling around Australia and we enjoyed our time there. This time round, Lismore appeared to be bigger and busier, and Casino was more interesting for us. This trip has highlighted to us what was of interest to us 9 years ago, has changed this time round. Yes, we have changed also.



Reached Ballina and travelled along the coast passing through Lennox Head, and Byron Bay. Impressions of Byron Bay was, old, hippyish, new, touristy, yuppyish. We didn't quite make it to Tweed Heads. A small town called Chinderah caught our eye. It is between Kingscliff and Tweed Heads, although there isn't a distinct beginning and end for the towns along the Northern Rivers coastline. The Tweed River runs along the esplanade where the caravan park is.



Friday 10 March, we decided to stay another night (3 nights in all). It's a very well maintained esplanade along the Tweed River, with inviting areas to have a picnic, walk, or just watch the people fishing in the river or on the riverbank.
IMG_0272IMG_0272IMG_0272

Holly and Jayme at Scarborough
We enjoyed our time at Chinderah.



Sunday 11 March we left and headed for Brisbane. We caught up with friends of Mum (which are now friends of ours) in Brisbane and stayed at a caravan park on the foreshore of Scarborough which is just north of Redcliffe. Just like Chinderah, the foreshore at Scarborough is well maintained with areas for sitting, picnicing, walking, watching the passing parade, while looking at out Moreton Bay. An addition to Scarborough is the number of restaurants on the foreshore. We had dinner with friends on Sunday evening, just 50 metres from the caravan park. On Monday we spent the afternoon punting with other friends with nibbles to keep our strength up, and Tuesday we had a wonderful lunch at our friends place. This was our first stay at a capital city on our travels. Being an ex-Queenslander and having lived for a number of years in Brisbane, I will always have a soft spot for Brisbane.



By Wednesday 15 March, we were ready to keep heading north. Once again, our aim was Gympie, but as we got there earlier than expected, we decided to continue on to Maryborough.
IMG_0265IMG_0265IMG_0265

Fishing on the Tweed River bank at sunset
The caravan park is next to the Mary River and by evening we were attacked by mosquitoes. Whether it was because we were near the river, or the recent rain, we don't know. The weather has surprised us. As soon as we crossed the Queensland border, it became hot and humid. We'd forgotten what that weather feels like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DSC_0015DSC_0015
DSC_0015

Van site at Chinderah, NSW
IMG_0259IMG_0259
IMG_0259

Sunset on the Tweed River
IMG_0274IMG_0274
IMG_0274

Approaching storm at Scarborough


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb