Melbourne Visit


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 11th 2014
Published: July 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our brief Melbourne visit for brother-in-law, Barry's 80th birthday celebration was a great event. Les, myself, Trent, Denise, Kate and Daniel as well as Les' youngest sister, Billie, and her boys, Tim and Jono accompanied by Jacinta and Jay, had a wonderful time celebrating with Barry, June, Nicole, Darren, Maddy and Ben, as well as a few of Barry's long-standing friends. Well done Barry! Sadly, although Nigel had made last-minute arrangements to join us from Vietnam, the best laid plans can go astray and he was unable to be there. He was with us all in spirit however!

Nicole ensured we were entertained every day and every night, with visits to a brewery which also had the best crispy thin pizzas, to another wine/beer bar with light meals, shopping experiences, and always evenings with wine and beers on their deck!

As Trent's 38th birthday coincided with the weekend's activities, we partied on at the Melbourne Casino on the Saturday night (after the lunch for Barry!) It was a huge four days and nights, and we're certain to reflect on it all for many years to come.

I had made arrangements to meet with my father's only remaining cousin and his wife, Stuart and Margaret Barker, while we were in Melbourne. Approximately a week before we left Toowoomba, Margaret phoned to say Stuart's health had declined over recent months and that he had been moved into a nursing home with dementia. He was however, still in a relatively stable condition and looking forward to our visit. Sadly, two days before we were to see them, Margaret phoned to say he had passed away suddenly, suffering a massive brain bleed. Margaret and their son, Euan, were very insistent that Les and I still visit as planned. We had a wonderful afternoon with them. I was thrilled to meet and get to know a little of a long-lost second cousin I didn't know I had.

We returned to Cairns exhausted, happy to have left the wintery Melbourne to the hardy, and once again, embrace the warm sunshine Cairns had on offer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.514s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb