Cairns Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
April 23rd 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thank goodness for the date on my computer. Already I have no idea of the day or date each morning – but then again, it really doesn’t matter. Tomorrow the winds are looking good and we want to be in Cooktown for ANZAC day, so we’re heading off. Cairns Reef has been an amazing spot to explore. Sure it was 8nm to get down to the bottom, but very well worth it. Yesterday after the anchor was set, we went straight to explore the small patch of sand that was exposed. Turned out we didn’t have very long before there was no more sand with the tide coming in. So it was off to see the underwater life. So much to see. Not really the bright colours from the Low Isles, but still quite pretty and always lots to see. The marine life here is many and varied. We’ve stalked massive stingray’s in the Zodi, snorkelled with fish of all colours, been stalked by medium sized reef sharks (who actually proved to be quite timid to tell the truth) and surprisingly enough, did not even fish once. (probably due to the fact that we’ve got no room in the fridge or freezer for any more fish). Today we decided to go to the ‘great wall of reef’. We went out in the zodi at low tide to explore the edge of the reef we could see. However, we ended up walking the zodi in for the last few metres as it was so shallow and found that it wasn’t in fact a reef wall, but in fact very shallow sand for miles and miles, still as far as the eye could see. On the far horizon we could see very large boulders, but there was no way of getting there before the tide would come in. Went to another patch of coral and Tiny and Frog had their last snorkel for this trip. It’s just a shame they both have to return for work. They’ve been excellent company, lots of fun and laughter. (although I do have to admit that whilst 50% laughing is with the boys, the other 50% actually happens to be AT the boys and their antics or trying to find their way around a moving yacht)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb