Cooktown 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 18th 2010
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

17th July: We walked downtown this morning to see what Cooktown is like - it’s a lovely town, with the most beautiful mountains all along the Endeavour River, and still some of the old buildings standing from the days when it was a bustling port for northern enterprises and gold from the Palmer River rush. There were markets on this morning, but didn’t buy anything as they were mostly food - both fresh and cooked.

18th July: Breakfasted at the kiosk on the waterfront this morning (but came home for coffee as they didn’t have espresso machine! We do!) Very good eggs and bacon.

19th July: Walked to Finch Bay on the Coral Sea today, and back along Cooktown’s main street where we stopped for a hamburger for lunch as the walk had taken longer than planned and we were hungry! I seem to be writing a lot about food recently, so to continue in that vein, today we bought barramundi from the fish man who comes to the caravan park every afternoon. We cooked it in the same style as the fish BBQ at Kuramba - it was very yummy!! Before we had our dinner we drove up to the lighthouse above Finch Bay which has wonderful 360 degree views. At the moment the road is being repaired and is only open after 5pm, and tonight was a bit overcast. We hope to get up to the lighthouse again on an evening when there’s a good sunset - stay tuned!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb