Atherton - Cooktown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 16th 2010
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Me at UndaraMe at UndaraMe at Undara

In case you thought I wasn't there!
14th July: Bastille Day! This morning we set off for a walk from the back of the caravan park up to a mountain called the Widow Maker (not an especially appealing name!). Quite a steep climb, and at each pause for breath the view over Atherton, the surrounding country and mountains beyond was stunning, and so green. The change in the country between Mount Surprise and here is hard to believe - it’s like two different continents. As we drew nearer to the top of our climb, the grass became longer, thicker and wetter. Eventually, after several leeches each, we abandoned the idea of getting to the summit and came back down again. Don’t like leeches - particularly the one that got just under the hem of my shorts!!

15th July: Had a quiet resting sort of day today, it was showering on and off for most of it. In the afternoon we went for a stroll between showers and discovered Hastie’s Swamp just up the road from the van park. Not a prepossessing name, but it was an interesting place - a bird sanctuary and a popular spot for twitchers, with a couple of hides erected by the National Parks & Wildlife, containing posters identifying the many species of birds in this location (about 60).

16th July: Before leaving Atherton this morning we needed to buy a new gas cylinder - both on the caravan had run out, and were too old to refill. This little exercise took us about 2 hours, but eventually, mission completed, we were on our way. Next stop was the Golden Drop Mango Winery, where they use only mangoes to make wines, a port, and 3 varieties of what they call Cello (like limoncello - the winemaker has an Italian sounding name, so I guess that’s why this style of drink). They were all quite pleasant, but to me not as appealing as the tropical fruit wines we’ve tried in previous years near Mission Beach. After a spectacular mountain drive we arrived in Cooktown about 4 (along with a big rain shower, I think it rains a lot here ven in the Dry season). It looks an interesting place. Like every else in FNQ it was established initially because of gold!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb