OZ!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
May 28th 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

OK so here we are.
We've survived Asia and gotten ourselves over to OZ. I'm surprised by how much I like it here, its way more tropical than I thought it would be. We started up in Cairns in a crazy backpackers hostel called Rosies. There is no beach in Cairns so our days were spent in the outdoor pool and in the cinema (its amazing how much you miss just chilling out and watching a film). From cairns we went to townsville, its a pretty quiet place and I think its the only place we made friends with actual Aussies! We only stayed one night before going to Magnetic Island. We both loved it there and one of the day we went on a trek around the centre of it and saw gorgeous Koalas fast asllep in the trees. We couldn't swim there because it was just coming out of stinger season and the waters were not too safe. We spent 3 days on the island and booked our whitsubdays and fraser island tours fron there.
We went from there to Airlie beach which was the place to do our Whitsundays tour from. We spent one night there and met a load of people from Tallaght that knew a load of my school friends....small world eh?

The Whitsundays trip was out of this world. We were sailing for 2 days and stayed on one of the Whitsunday islands called south mollie island, which had its own olympic swimming pool, needless to say I was in it nearly all night.
We made some great friends on the trip 3 english girls one Northern Irish girl and 2 english lads. We had an absolute ball! We went snorkeling and were swimming from the baot to the shore. Well I was, Shar hates very deep water so she went for the dingy to shore option. We were on White haven beach for a while, where the sand its so pure you can use it to clean your silver, and its the 4th nicest beach in the world.
After the days sailing in glorious weather, both of us left the boat with sunburn, and sunstroke. We hung out with our friends as long as we could but we were too wrecked for anything and had to sleep, in fits of shivers from the sunstroke.

Next stop was hervey bay where we were departing from for fraser island (the worlds largest sand island). We were so lucky with the group we got. There were 4 french-canadians (two couples) and 5 Manchester lads who were about 18-19 and hilarious to watch. We set off for the Island and really enjopyed it. We were swimming in lake mc kenzie and camping on the beach for the first night. We neraly got the 4x4 stuck in a sand dune but lickily our driver Canadian Carl was well ablt to getus out. We camped with the rest of the groups and had fun around the BBQs at night. The next day we saw the macheno wreck and made our way to lake wabi, where you can run down the sand dunes and dive into the water. I only did it once but the lads were hilarious finding the biggest hills possible to start the run from. We camped again that night together with all the groups. Shar and I were the group cooks so every night we BBQed the dinner. The last day we went to lake mc kensie again and cilled a while.
When we went back to Hervey we were smelly and wrecked so we showered and got ourselves some all you can eat mexican before hitting the sack for some badly needed sleep.

Our next stop was Noosa. It was such a gorgeous place. We went on a walk through the National park on our first day there and found a secluded beach. We spent the day there, wave jumping and sunbathing (i now have a slight ginger tan!) We spent anothr day on the beach in Noosa before leaving for Brisbane.
This is now where we are, about to embark on some architecture geeking (I'm googleing what buildings to see after this) hope Brisbane is good, its Byron bay next for us...more beaches yeay!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb