GOOD DAY MATES


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are falling apart a bit. Or should I say we are losing parts of ourselves; Rosie has lost 2 fillings and I have lost the feeling in the top of my leg (it has spread now). Tomorrow is a fixing day, Rosie's trying to get into an emergency dental place because although it is not painful we are going off for 10 days and it is bad to go away with holey teeth. I've got a physiotherapy appointment and will have massages/acupuncture to work out why I am numb. I'm quite looking forward to the acupuncture but it's a bit annoying really, young people definitely shouldn't get weird things wrong with them. Also while I am adding to my list of ailments I would like to add that my fingers get wrinkly so easily, I just have to eat a salad with my fingers or hold a water bottle with mild condensation on it to get all wrinkly. Basically I am an old woman.

Anyway on Monday we went to a desert island (you have to imagine me saying that really casually) and that was pretty amazingly good. We were literally the only people on the whole thing, and it looked like one of those islands that you get on holiday adverts. The sea was bath-temperature and the sand was really fine like flour, and we could camp about 2 metres away from the sea! We swam a lot and explored inland, where there were remains of a village where loads of lepers were kept ages ago.. God the spiders were massive, at least the size of chickens. And they didn't even live in webs, they either had hard-core nests in the ground with massive holes to come out of scarily, or they sat in mid-air, ready to jump on me. Crikey they were big. But then at dusk it was crab-time, seriously billions of tiny blue crabs came out of the sand (they had been waiting under there all day) and in a big army they all ran to the sea, but when they were chased with our cameras they started spiralling into the sand again, like tiny drills. It was so cool, we have some quite excellent videos of that, but this website does not like uploading anything, which is a bit annoying. We'll try again though soon. But anyway, we got reasonably sunburnt in silly places and had a difficult sleep on the sand, which turned into concrete magically when we tried to sleep on it. Rosie was lying on a boulder apparently. Yes that was lovely, and nice spending time with Jen and Chris (they have a really nice baby called Evie). We had a nice pasta meal with sand and wine that was made by Chris (he is a chef, we went to his cafe today) and had horsefly style swatting competitions (I don't know if that's the right order the words 'horsefly' 'style' and 'swatting' should go in).

There are more mosquito bites here than in Laos, and I have about 6 on the bottom of my feet, which is definitely a horrible place to have them. There are probably about the same amount of ants here, but there are more exciting species, on the leper island there were massive purple ones. Oh yes! There is also a massive range of Cadbury chocolate here, we went into a grocery place to get mangoes and there were so many types, with weird fruits inside (Boysenberry?) and double/triple chocolate and FUDGE and woww it was exciting.

The last few days have been nice, we have been looking around Brisbane a bit (we are about half an hour train journey away) and yesterday went to the nicest sandwich place EVER, it was so amazing. It was called MYO (for Make Your Own) and you go in and walk around with a tray and get to pick your sandwich completely, from the type of bread/wrap/pizza base to adding all the fillings. But you do it all yourself by walking round and putting how much you want of each thing (so it isn't like Subway) and there were SO MANY THINGS, over 70 fillings apparently, and only about 10 were meaty, so I went sandwich crazy and put loads in. And it was nice as well because it wasn't like a long line of things that you shuffled along, it was all spread about the whole shop, like a big maze of different varieties of onions and lettuce and sauce. They had really fun things too like alfafa. That place was probably the best thing in the whole of Australia.. maybe.
But yes, we have been shopping and have had loads of ice cream. I tried my hand at doing an Australian accent today in an ice cream shop, because I was annoyed at sounding so English whenever I asked for a cup of tea, but I asked for coffee flavour and she gave me Ferrero Rocher flavour, which sounds nothing like coffee even in an Australian accent. Everyone is very brown and look like they are advertising hair gel or at least moisturiser.

Yes, we have now arranged the rest of our Australia thing in a travel agents this afternoon, where the lady picked the things that she thought we should do and slightly ignored our wanting to go to the outback a bit. But it does look JOLLY FUN what she has done, and we are now going off on Saturday 'up north' to do some sailing, snorkelling, beach, rainforestisationalising and umm.. actions. We'll be living on a boat for a bit! And then doing a self-drive safari on Fraser Island, which is amusing as neither of us can drive. But they will find someone who can drive apparently to join us. But yes, we are both excited about that.

In our room here we have a big exercise ball, which is proving to be the most entertaining and fun thing. ALSO there are always at least 70 geckos on the window in here (outside), and some things called skinks which are like snakey lizards. The end.

P.S. Mine and Rosie's talents which we discovered today are that she can look at a map so when we get to the place she knows instantly where we are and which direction things are in. Whereas I can remember all the words to Amy Studt songs from 7 years ago (we just had a blast from the past session). I wonder which talent is more useful...


Advertisement



31st January 2008

tittle tattle lost thebattle
mums pregnant
31st January 2008

not really
not really shes not pregnant i just heard it on the tv and it seemed lke thats what i should say the spiders float in mid-air you say!? Argh. IIIIIII can come over and drive you round! Earlier I drove from school through winkleigh out to bideford and back accupuncture, i think that sounds so horrible i thought that thats the type of thing that you would hate, after needles and things like that. just the thought of it is making the back feel like the vertebrae are slding out the top please email picutre sarah this is so frustrating how you are not sedning me anything grr i hope you are enjoyng your pleasent time and sunning around, there is supopsed to be snow tomorow though i doubt it, because i expect it will just be torrentail rain again. you are in australia which is where my friend rose died, thats weird if i kick the floor really hard maybe you will feel it squeak dribbled on the card that you sent, and the first thing i saw when i opened it (i opened it first :):):) ) was Say hello to Squeak so i did because she was right there, she is so cuddly. Bubble has taken full advantage of your empty bed. I have seeen sweeney todd three times now, do watch it! this morning (thursday) i ran down to the leisure centre and swam 32 lengths then ran back stella has a cough so i can't ride her atm. :( poor baby well thanks for being such a good husband, sarah! g'bye mate

Tot: 0.39s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb