Increasing Our Carbon Footprint Nicely


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got up nice and early (it was actually early this time, 6am) and waved good bye to Ruth from our well packed and slightly precarious tuk-tuk. The flight to Bangkok was a couple of hours and went smoothly, we had 8 hours to wait in Bangkok airport so thoroughly explored the international departures lounge and various duty free shops. There was a technology shop place selling anything from headphones to portable DVD players and CDs. We looked at some of the films being sold and wrote down the blurbs, the spelling is as it was.

"The Mirror - 'Mina', young little girl's waiting for her mother to pick her up who finally doesn't show up. So Mina, now teary eyed, decided to make her own way back home even not know which direction should go; or which bus to take. And seems like no one would realise this problem. But about half-way through this little girl as the actress screaming "I don't want to act anymore" and storms off the set. However the film continues where it is left off, as the girl still trying to get home for real, which like the "mirror" reflects the real world is entirely similar to the film"

"Mysterious Skin - Two suburban kids, 8 year old Brian Lackey and Neil McCormick had something in common that turned their lives upside down. Ten years later Brian (Brady Corbet) still curious what happened to him, all he could remember is, he fainted and woke up with nose-bleed. Brian's voyage of self discovery leads him to Neil (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), now a teenage hustler who helps him to unlock the dark secrets of their past"

"Shattered Day - Catch up the bloody couples who dare to breake the law. A bank robbery plan burst out with blazing bullets, wheras the innocents, security guards and the bank manager are the victims of their greed. Before they'll spend their theif money. they have to resist the cop'sbullets which prepare for them outside"

The Mirror sounds like the most confusing film ever. Anyway, I had to cash some travellers cheques to Baht the Thai currency so we could buy things and eat. Baht (65.5 to 1GBP) aren't as ridiculous as the Kip (18,500 to the pound). We checked in for our Flight from Bangkok to Sydney and boarded the plane at about 6pm.
This plane was nice and on the tv screen in the back of the seat in front you can choose from a range of films, music and radio stations and make a playlist so that kept us occupieed for quite a while. You can also see the flight path and ground speed/altitude etc. we were going 995kmph at one point. We had a supper and were woken up about 3am for Breakfast which wasnt nice.

We arrived in Sydney at 6am (after going forward 5 hours from Bangkok also) and collected our luggage as our next flight was an internal one and we had to check in our bags again. The plane left at 8:05 and we arrived in Brisbane about 8:30 travelling back an hour aswell as Sydney is in a different time zone. We met my aunt Chris and got outside to meet my uncle Pete who was driving round to meet us.

Brisbane is probably as hot as Laos, but there is always a breeze which makes it much more bearable. It's not so muggy here either. Apparently 75% of Queensland is flooded, but not Brisbane, their dam isnt full yet which means there are water restrictions. Every house was sent a 4 minute timer to put in their showers to try to get people to use less water. Because of all the recent wind and rain, some of the beaches are closed due to erosion as the sand dunes have made it very dangerous when the tide is coming in and people are constantly having to be rescued.

They are complaining about the weather here, it was 25 degrees at 6pm and much warmer at midday, this was 'cold'; and apologising for the 'wind' which was a lighy breeze making the heat bearable.

Pete and Chris live in a "Queenslander" which is a house on stilts, however they have filled in the bottom like most people and Sarah and I have this part to ourselves, the stairs are outside and we've got our own bathroom, kitchen, living room with tv, bar and a pull out bed in one of the sofas, so we are quite liking it here...

Last night we were welcomed to Australia with a huge firework display over the river in Brisbane city centre. They were in time with the music too which was clever. There was also a free concert with "Famous Singer Josh Pie" We never got to see him as he was last and we were tired by them, but we saw The Zebras, whoever they are.
I bought an ice cream which Mr Maxwell my biology teacher recommended i tried in New Zealand but couldn't find! it's called a Hokey-Pokey icecream and is honeycomby with little gooey and crunchy bits in and was soo lovely.
This morning I was woken up at 12pm and had breakfast ( ham and fried egg sandwich and mango, cherries and grapes) We met Jen my cousin and her 13 month-old daughter Evie who is walking lots but not talking yet. She is lovely and sat on Sarah drawing for ages and poured water all over her trousers so she had to change. We went on a short drive to the 'boardwalk' whish is like a raised decking footway on stilts and goes out to sea a bit among the mangroves (trees which live in the sea) very strange. After this walk we went to the little beach nearby and in for a paddle, the tide was going out so the water wasnt that deep but it was 28'c which was lovely.

After the beach we spent the rest of the afternoon back at their house and in the evening Chis, Jen's husband came over too and we had a BBQ which was fun.

Tomorrow we (Sarah, Pete, Chris, Chris II, Jen, Evie, and me of course) are taking Pete's motor boat and Chris II's catamaran and going to an uninhabited island nearby - Peel Island and then camping there for the night!! apparently people just do this, it takes about half an hour to get there. Because it is the end of the Australia Day bank holiday, the few people who might have been camping will have gone home so we'll have the whole island to ourselves (it apparently takes 40 minutes to walk around the entirety of it so it's not huge). There are also (deserted) leper huts from when a leper colony (about 90 people) inhabited the island to stop the leprosy spreading.


Advertisement



27th January 2008

My, my, how time flies!
Well, how time must fly at Bangkok airport, when you have nothing to do but look at film blurb. V. funny. I'd particularly like to see the Mirror, - all these films sound slightly sinister and sleazy. You're very lucky to be living in such luxury in Brisbane. The boat trip tomorrow sounds great, and I am really envious. Only in Australia one day, and you've already had a barbie! Love mum
27th January 2008

hihihi wow, are yu sad to have left? your digggings sound very fun to be in, you cna now put up mor ephotos as you are in australia i hope. how exciting, desert island campign boats, that just sound sthe best. those video titles hahhahaaa are you gettign used to planes now sarahcox?? whe you get back you are going to be so bored becaus eyou are doign such amazing things all day, i have doen nothign atll of interest with my day. i reallly wish i was with you. miss yous boths. xxxx

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb