Whitsunday Islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
February 19th 2007
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The big jumpThe big jumpThe big jump

Most of the crew on Whitehaven beach having fun in our stinger suits where I saw shed loads of rays, a little shark and a fair few rain clouds but didn't let that ruin the moment.
After getting aboard the 'Dreamcatcher' and being introduced to my bed for the next couple of nights i found it somewhat hard to imagine having any dreams or sleep at all for that matter! Then the big fat Ozzy sleeping in the cabin next to ours started snoring louder than anything I have ever heard and I realised the only thing for it was to venture top side and sleep under the stars which proved to be much more rewarding.
The sailing in the daytime was pretty good too. Went snorkelling and saw amazing corals and plenty of colourful parrot fish, bat fish and many more. The weather held for the most part, until we arrived at whitehaven beach and got a little rain which was a real shame. Then as we were coming home the heavens opened and everyone took cover down below except for clever old me who foolishly volunteered to throw the rope at the poor girl standing ashore. I was completely drenched but hit the rain sodden sheila right in her face with the rope, she wasn't very happy! Not sure what she expected. Might have had more chance of catching it if she had taken her
All hands on deck!All hands on deck!All hands on deck!

The japanese touch once again. Those girls knew how to take a photo!
hands out of her pockets! Silly girl.

After that we slept very well and got up bright and early to catch a 10 hour bus north to Cairns where we stayed last night in our own apartment with lounge and kitchen. Since then we have moved further north to cape Tribulation for a two day excursion. Today we had a guided tour around to rainforest, went for a swim in the river, then crocodile spotting boat trip up the river and have just had a lovely meal in our hostel's bistro 'The Beach House' which is surrounded by jungle and ten seconds from the beach although currently it is raining a lot! Tomorrow we are on another boat to the Great Barrier reef for a spot of snorkelling, then back to Cairns for white water rafting and a day of rest before flying to Bangkok, providing the rain hasn't flooded the road and the bus cannot get us, in which case we are stuck here for another day.

Photos will be following very soon when find a cheaper connection. Pray for good weather please! xxxx

Advertisement



19th February 2007

McGarrigle's curse
Hi Both Hope you are managing to have a great time despite some of the setbacks, including the weather. Unfortunately we are reknowned as rainmakers, taking the rain wherever we go. Ask the Miller's and the Fitz's! We even managed to make it rain at Ayers Rock which is almost unheard of. It sounds like you smuggled other members of the family along with you, with Coral in the sea and Mum snoring next door! Hope you get your flights to Bankok OK and I really want to see a photo of you with the tigers! I will indeed pray for better weather for you along with getting a suitably cheap estimate from the builder! Love to you both. Dad.
19th February 2007

It rained when I went to Whitehaven beach too!
Shame, huh? Looks so pretty in the pictures. Hopefully it's the dry season in Thailand!
20th February 2007

Amazing!
You're doing such a great job with the web site- keep it up - we do appreciate it! Maisie's making herself at home in Harwich and we're off to Madeira on Thursday- no blog though! x
21st February 2007

Ruthy Captain!
Told you all those cadet weeks at the Yacht Club would come in useful!

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb