Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
February 21st 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Crab ballsCrab ballsCrab balls

Not sure why they do this but ruthy loves them!
This is where Captain Cooks' troubles all began after he crashed into the great barrier reef, 100km south of Cook town where he eventually landed after throwing his load overboard and patching the hole with sails and sailors!
A couple of hours on a guided tour with Shane around the Daintree river and national park was pretty stunning, although it was raining which is to be expected in a rainforest during wet season. While most stood in the rain the guide and I went swimming up the river which was pretty brisk but well worth it. Then we drove to a fruit orchard where the owner cares for orphaned Joeys which were truely adorable and picked up some really fresh plums on our way to the resort.
The Beach house resort was as expected and boasted a really beautiful highly polished wood bar bistro as well as being spitting distance from the beach. The whole place was bang in the middle of tropical rainforest and floating on my back in the pool with the canopy covering most of the sky was never going to get boring! With it being wet season the only other guests must have been in hiding as we didn't have much company that night apart from the on site Cassawary which stood over six foot and has claws that can rip a mans head off, apparently (didnt care to test this so took the other path onto the beach).
The following morning we got on Odyssey H20 for some scuba diving on the great barrier reef which was breathtaking! Want to go again! Now!!
The water proof camera which wasn't waterproof in Whitsunday was a bit of a shame as the colours, fish, reef, turtle and whole experience were worth a picture or ten! After two dives both ruthy and I are keen to go again and hopefully I can pick up another waterproof camera in Thailand although doubt the reef will be as 'Great'.
Had a few drinks last night in Cairns to see off the Reading boys who flew to NZ today for 7weeks. We met them on Fraser and are both great lads who will no doubt be coming to Southend for a drink in the future. Think maybe all the shandy had something to do with us missing the bus to go rafting this morning, luckily they are gonna take us tomorrow!
Dive CertifiedDive CertifiedDive Certified

Gotta do another 8 and we can take exam and get our paddy licence. Bring on Thailiand!

Happy days!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Swimming in the DaintreeSwimming in the Daintree
Swimming in the Daintree

The guide Shane and I energising ourselves.


22nd February 2007

blimey another Shane!
Hi Guys Love the commentary and the pics. Shame about the camera but underwayer shots rarely do it justice anyway unless you pay loads. Now I am getting REALLY fed up in this caravan and definitely need a holiday! Have a good time rafting but stay well for the next leg of your adventure. Best wishes. Dad

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb